Which (magnetic) pickup for my acoustic?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Which (magnetic) pickup for my acoustic?

Postby deferre » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:42 am

Gentle people,

I want to amplify my acoustic guitar, a Gibson Blues King.

I'm thinking of using a microphone in front of it, together with a magnetic pickup in the soundhole. Is this a good idea? Should I go piezo (I don't really want to touch the guitar inside unless it's obligatory)?

And, which pickup do you recomend for the soundhole?
I'm thinking that a pasive one would give less hassle with the bateries. I'm taking a look at the offer: Fishman (Neo-D), L.G.Baggs, DiMarzio, Shadow, Dean Markley... etc, they all have pasive magnetic pickups. Which ones are you using?

Thanks in advance!
deferre
Regular

RE: Which (magnetic) pickup for my acoustic?

Postby bendaway » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:31 pm

>I want to amplify my acoustic guitar, a Gibson Blues King.
>I'm thinking of using a microphone in front of it, together
>with a magnetic pickup in the soundhole. Is this a good
>idea?
>And, which pickup do you recomend for the soundhole?
>Which ones are you using?

I had a wooden Dean Markley soundhole pickup (Pro Mag, I think) that sounded good in a Yamaha SJ-180 but didn't sound as good in a new Blueridge BR-43.
The Seymour Duncan Maverick Performer is pretty good for a lower priced magnetic pickup. Mavericks are only sold by Musician's Friend and Guitar Center now, but they show up used on eBay occasionally. I got a nearly new Barcus Berry MapleBar pickup recently and am pleased with it so far.
bendaway
Regular

RE: Which (magnetic) pickup for my acoustic?

Postby bendaway » Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 pm

I now have collected several acoustic guitar magnetic pickups. I am going to keep the Duncan Maverick Performer plus an older DeArmond humbucker. The slightly used Barcus-Berry Maplebar pickup is now for sale on eBay.
bendaway
Regular

Return to Guitar