A HomeMade Stomp-Box Question A-LA John Lee H

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: A HomeMade Stomp-Box Question A-LA John L

Postby whitewolfofsc » Tue May 02, 2006 12:29 am

i made one last month. I used 1x2" wood for the sides, and left one piece a bit short so that it would leave a "bass port" at each end. I used thin plywood for the top and bottom, and 1x2" for the footrest as well. The sixe is about 2" square. I haven't used it on my new CD yet. I have done some rough recordings with it, as idea bases, but it is not on any of my songs that you can hear... yet. I used it at the flea market, and played harp and also some one strind diddley while there. I got lots of interested looks, and a few conversations, but did not sell any of my guitars or dulcimers... or my stomp box. Oh well, I had fun anyway.

WW
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Tue May 02, 2006 10:31 pm

Does anyone have pictures of there stomp box??

Tell me if you guys think this will work???

Take a piece of plywood for the top and nail that to three 2x4s in a U shape then take another 2x4 and cut it a little shorter then the other, so that you have room for the bass to escape that way you can still here it when I'm busking. Also I could use that open area as a place I could run my wire for my pickups when I play somewhere that I can use the pickups OR for recording.

I'm not sure if I need t oleave the place for the air to escape or not, DO YOU THINK I WOULD?? and whould I make a bottom for it out of plywood or just leave the bottom half open??

There isn't really any INFO on the net about making stomp-boxes, which is a real kick in the pants because I'M NO WOOD WORKER BUT I REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS ON MY OWN. I just don't really know how to go about it.
marlboroman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed May 03, 2006 10:07 pm

This is pretty embarrassing, but I am pretty new to a lot of this stuff. Anyone care to explain what a stomp box is?

I feel like an idiot.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby whitewolfofsc » Thu May 04, 2006 2:40 pm

Essentially, a stomp box is a piece of wood floor that you can take with you to places where there is no wood floor, and you tap your foot on it along with your playing. They can be as simple as a single flat piece of wood, or have shallow sides on it to raise it up, or a bottom added to those sides to make it more complete. It will then begin to bridge the gap between "floor" and "drum".
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Postby songdog » Thu May 04, 2006 11:54 pm

>I was kinda Hope'n to get instructions on what material and
>construction to use

I've heard of several people just using a wooden drawer from an old chest or desk. Place it upside down on the floor and stomp on the bottom of the drawer. That should give you some idea of the construction if you're looking to make your own. Many old wooden drawers were constructed of 1 x 3s or 4s for the sides with a very thin (1/4")bottom board.

Or as Grady suggested, something similar to an old soda crate. Most of those crates were made out of thin wood to make them not so heavy to carry.

I'm guessing the thinner you make it, the louder and more "hollow" it will sound. Use thicker wood (2 x 4s) and it won't be as loud but may sound more like a floor. Of course the size will matter too but you can experiment by stuffing rags inside the box to change the tone.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri May 05, 2006 7:57 am

^^ I liker a softer sound - my ideal is pretty much a cross between Ringo toms and Ringo kick. That's why a used the cardboard - it's more of a thud then a tap. Just glue a piezo to a piece of thick cardboard and cut out ALL the mids form the EQ. Actually, the EQ is probably the more important to the overall sound then the material Plenty of highs and lows, no mids at all. You can't go wrong.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri May 05, 2006 10:49 am

I just use the guitar case and mike that with a 57. Tap my foot on it. I've got all kinds of demos done that way. Works really well live. Nothin more natural than using what you brought with you in the door.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:25 am

I put a SM57 inside a wooden box that was a 3 bottle wine gift box with a little foam to pad the Microphone it sounds good. I actually own a "PORCH BOARD" . The porch board is a manufactured stomp box. There should be a web site to check it out...Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar