acoustic guitar amps?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

acoustic guitar amps?

Postby birdmove » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:43 am

Anyone use them? If so, whats some good ones for blues? Marshall AS50? I'm thinking of getting one, and would like some suggestions.

JJN
birdmove
Regular

RE: acoustic guitar amps?

Postby j_benz222 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:22 pm

although i haven't actually tried one, i hear the Fender Jazztone (or Jazzmaster, not sure) is great for either Jazz or Blues...it's got the warm, rich tones so you might want to play around w/ it. just a thought.
j_benz222
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:48 pm

I spent a few evenings reading reviews, and ran all over town playing everything I could. I ended up with a Crate 30W, and am very happy. Just enough on board effects to make some interesting acoustic playing. I really like the "shape" knob. I really don't know the what or why behind it electrically, but it really lets you get the sound you want. I can't even describe the difference...I guess you just gotta hear it. It's what put that amp in the back of my car instead of the Marshall, Fender or very nice, but very expensive Roland.
1four5
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Mon May 08, 2006 11:31 pm

A local bluesman, Billy Witton was talking to me about amps the other day and particularly how resonator guitars with piezo pickup sound better through an acoustic amp (or pa) rather than a stadard guitar amp.
Well that seems fairly obvious, but he went on to explain that by adding a horn to a standard amp you in effect turn it into an acoustic amp. Yo can apparently either hard wire it in series with the existing speaker(s)or add a connection alowing you to plug or unplug it when the need arises thus not wrecking the amp for normal electric guitar.

He seems to know what he is talking about, and has been around for a while but I would be interested if anyone else has any knowlege or experience of this..... Ric ???

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 11:39 pm

I wouldn't put it in series with the other speaker. I'd put in a crossover to direct the highs to the horn driver and the lows to the cone woofer, the crossover frequency being appropriately chosen (perhaps to the 800 Hz point Don Leslie chose?)

By the time you did something like that and got it sorted out, you'd've done at least as well to buy a proper acoustic amp, or a nice used keyboard amp which'll do the same thing just as well.

I do agree with the principle, though. Electric guitar needs the highs rolled off to sound good. A reso has it's characteristic tone because of the high harmonics, and they need to come through clearly.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 am

I have tried the Marshall don't like it. Too bright. A really great sounding acoustic amp is the Behringer ACX1000. It is real big and full sounding. Has a channel for Microphone also. I play through my P.A., but if I was going to buy an acoustic amp I would definately buy the Behringer. It is 2 x 60 watt stereo amps. For $299.00 at Musiciansfriend.com you can't beat it
deltablues57
Regular

Postby thebluescaster » Tue May 09, 2006 4:03 am

I play acoustic/electric and need a little bit more than most acoustic players. I agree with the comments about adding a horn, and have leaned toward keyboard amps myself for that reason. They have a little more bottom end as well as highs.

I recently heard an UltraSound amp which impressed the heck out of me, it compared nicely to a Trace Elliott and came in at about half the price.
Several of us A/B'd it with the Crate acoustic amp, and there was literally no comparison.
thebluescaster
Regular

Return to Guitar