Lookin for a Blues King!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Lookin for a Blues King!

Postby cj440 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Hey Folks, Looking for a Gibby Blues King Used. Not really loking for a vintage piece, reissue would be better, Been lookin on Ebay etc, I don't want one from 36, want reissue I can play in a bar, anybody looking to sell one?
cj440
Regular

RE: Lookin for a Blues King!

Postby crowduck » Wed May 03, 2006 1:51 am

CJ,

Have alook at this coming from Epi, due 5/26 for $350. Just like a Blues King.

CrowDuck

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=518369
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/p ... 274916.jpg
crowduck
Regular

Postby cj440 » Fri May 05, 2006 12:14 pm

Hey CD, You bet I'm gonna check that out. Never know, every once in a while Gibson screws up and gives you your money's worth, this may be one of 'em!
cj440
Regular

Postby crowduck » Fri May 05, 2006 7:31 pm

>Hey CD, You bet I'm gonna check that out. Never know, every
>once in a while Gibson screws up and gives you your money's
>worth, this may be one of 'em!

CJ,

Yeah, for sure!! Remember the Epi BluesMaster, like Keb Mo plays now? That was a $400 guitar new, and nowadays sells for over $800. I've got one, and it's worth it.

The EL-00 is Epi's version of the Gibson Blues King, which in turn is a 'lesser' version of the Gibson Nick Lucas Special, which I also own. They are all based on the Gibson L-00 body style/shape. The 'Nick' is different in that the lower bout is deeper than a normal L-00, don't know if that's true of the BK, or EL. The BluesMaster has a normal depth lower bout, but very wide, flat fingerboard 1 7/8" at the nut. The EL's nut width is spec'd at 1.65" which may 'put off' some fingerpickers. The EL-00 isn't really a new model, they've been around for awhile, but seemingly not promoted in the USA. As far back as a year ago, I remember seeing them available, but mainly in EU & UK. FWIW, the reviews at Harmony Central rate it highly, and several state that the EL-00 'shines' in 'open tunings' especially 'D'.
Lately, I've noticed mention of good things coming from Gibson from 2nd party reviewers. Maybe hype, but I've got several Epi's, and they're all very nice. I'm ready to 'pull the pin' for an EL-00, it might wind up being like the BluesMaster, and a bargain at $345.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat May 06, 2006 8:44 am

Update, I phoned Epi/Gibson Cust Serv about the EL-00. Rep said the body shape has been redesigned, and the specs are:

Scale Length - 24.75
Nut Width - 1.65
Lower Bout Depth - 4 11/32

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby dabluz » Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-06-06 AT 08:50 AM (EST)]i had a gibson blues king, i still have a keb mo blues master and i have the robert johnson model L-00 from montana. i really like the robert johnson and the epi blues master but i was never thrilled by the gibson blues king. however, i put it on ebay about a year ago at 1200 "buy it now" and it went the first day. not sure why, i hope the guy liked it. my favorite of these "blues/artist" model type guitars is a john cephase model taylor, it took me three years of searching to find one. i really like this guitar. they are virtually impossible to come by though. personally i thought the gibson blues king was not that great. but, to each his own.

[http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Sun May 07, 2006 9:28 pm

dabluz,

Where and when was your Blues King made? It's well know that Gibson had serious quality problems with their USA made products throughout the 90's for various reasons. I have an example myself in a USA made 1992 Nick Lucas Special Reissue that has 2 Very noticeable cosmetic defects. I also have an Epi BluesMaster made in Korea in the 90's that is flawless. This doesn't address sound or playability, but sloppy finish makes one wonder. Sometimes a particular production run from a particular factory is outstanding, as was the case with the 400 or so, BluesMaster's made in Korea. Those guitar factories get their woods by the 'pallet load', in cargo containers, it lots of like 10,000. Perhaps it's just a matter of luck that a 'good stack' winds up going into particlar model guitar.

Interestingly, both the Blues King and EL-00 have 'been around' for a couple of years, but there hasn't been any 'buzz' about them.

Anyway, we'll have to 'wait and see' how the latest run of EL's compare to their older sibling's.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby dabluz » Mon May 08, 2006 1:37 am

i'm not absolutely sure but i think it was ninety's version. i do remember it was made in nashville by the serial number. (less than 500, last 3 serial numbers) [http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deferre » Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 04:09 AM (EST)]I have one Blues King I bought half the price 5 years ago. I had one defect: the pickguard was a bit un-glued from the wood. That halved the price down to 'only' 1000 euro. All the rest was perfect, although it's a very simple guitar with no ornaments.

I'm very happy with its sound, awesome, and the playability. Perfect for me.

On the bad side: a couple of months ago I discovered a 'fisure' (I don't know the English word for this) in the wood, just on the top, running along the neck from the border to the soundhole. It still plays perfect, but I'm scared about the future of the guitar. It's perhaps my fault, because I have it out of the case and the humidity level is sure not the recomended one. But I have other guitars the same way and they never cracked.
deferre
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 11:42 am

"Fissure" is accurate. We usually call it a crack. Still not a good thing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dabluz » Tue May 09, 2006 2:38 am

"just on the top, running along the neck from the border to the soundhole."

i'll tell you what causes that problem. it's the pressure of the neck on the body. in other words the neck is trying to come towards the bridge as a result of string tension, the fretboard is glued to the top of the guitar in the area from the neck joint to the sound hole. this tension of the strings actually causes the grain, which runs top to bottom to seperate and move ever so slightly towards the sound hole, appearing as a crack, it is very likely "cracked" on both sides of the fretboard if you examine it closely, common occurance for say, being left in the back of a car on a hot day, or some other similiar trauma. usually heat related. the neck block is supposed to control this stress which keeps the headstock from ending up in the bridge. unfortunately sometimes these are not glued well enough of just structurally to small.

[http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Tue May 09, 2006 3:46 am

I would be interested in checking out the Epi Model.

The Gibson Blues Kings that I've played have left me very unimpressed.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 09, 2006 11:58 am

On the string tension and cracking issue, letting a guitar get cold without slackening the strings may be worse than letting it get hot. The steel strings contract much more than the wooden parts of the guitar, and the string tension goes way up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar