Grossman DVD Tabs

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Grossman DVD Tabs

Postby the_big_crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:11 pm

I just picked up Stefan Grossman's three DVD-set on Country Blues Guitar and aside from being distracted by his sweater, I'm frustrated with the tabs. Certainly Steve has seen how most tab is written out, so why does he have to put the fret number BELOW the corresponding string? I know someone will tell me that I should just throw the tabs out entirely, but that's not gonna happen. Still, I will say that the rather unorthodox (and frustrating) tab scheme that Grossman uses has had me relying a lot more on my ears and intuition simply because it's often annoying and difficult to follow what he trying to convey on paper. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but seriously, is the tab style used by just about all other guitar instructional material so bad that Grossman his own tab style (which it turns out is inferior to the status quo)? Otherwise, I’m enjoying the DVDs and am satisfied so far, although at the moment my fingers are really being stubborn with regards to learning the E chord roll in “Freight Train”.
the_big_crunch
Regular

RE: Grossman DVD Tabs

Postby panhead74 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:36 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-06 AT 07:38 AM (EST)]I've been working from Grossman's Fingerstyle DVD and had the same complaint. Apparently his unique tablature system is something he learned/developed as he was playing with Rev. Gary Davis, so I consider the historical perspective.

He's not putting the fret number below the string...he's using the SPACES as the corresponding strings (six spaces, rather than six lines).

It really does make sense once you get used to it, and it IS easier on my (tired, old, myopic) eyes.
panhead74
Regular

Postby the big crunch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:05 pm

>He's not putting the fret number below the string...he's
>using the SPACES as the corresponding strings (six spaces,
>rather than six lines).

Aaaaah, somehow I missed that. Thanks. That might help...some. I still wish he went with the standard system.
the big crunch
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:34 pm

>Apparently his unique tablature system
>is something he learned/developed as he was playing with
>Rev. Gary Davis, so I consider the historical perspective.

Consider the COMEDY perspective of a blind man teaching Grossman tab!
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:29 pm

>Consider the COMEDY perspective of a blind man teaching
>Grossman tab!

:)
panhead74
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:11 am

>Consider the COMEDY perspective of a blind man teaching
>Grossman tab!

Suddenly the system makes a whole lot of sense.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:18 pm

>
>>Consider the COMEDY perspective of a blind man teaching
>>Grossman tab!

>
>:)

And George Bush 'waving' to Stevie Wonder.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby kotiaho » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:38 am

Grossman has been doing tab that way all the way since he wanted to tab out songs he learned from Rev Gary Davis in the 60s. It's the way he himself figured it out for himself to do tab. So he never convreted to the current "standard" way.
kotiaho
Regular

Postby coolwater » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 pm

crunch....rolling into , and out of that E chord is a tough one. Took me awhile to get it right. That tab is a pain, but you'll get used to it after a bit. I'm just getting past "It Won't Be Long" which is a little easier than Freight Train. I may jump ahead and try the Robert Johnson thing next.
coolwater
Regular

Postby brass finger » Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 am

Yea,those spaces threw me off as well.
And I hate those sweaters, like some 80's yuppie or something.
But they aren't as bad as the ponchos he wore back when I bought a couple of books in the early 70's.
brass finger
Regular

Postby the_big_crunch » Tue May 09, 2006 2:49 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-09-06 AT 10:53 AM (EST)]>crunch....rolling into , and out of that E chord is a tough
>one. Took me awhile to get it right. That tab is a pain, but
>you'll get used to it after a bit. I'm just getting past "It
>Won't Be Long" which is a little easier than Freight Train.
>I may jump ahead and try the Robert Johnson thing next.

It took me a few practice sessions, but when I got it down, I wanted to show the whole world!! The one big lesson I have learned in my first year of fingerpicking is that if you slow down a lick, a tune, or a phrase and REALLY break it down into its individual parts, then you WILL eventually learn how to play the thing, or something really similar; it just takes lots of patience and an attentive ear.

Yeah, the Stokes tune is pretty easy, and fun, and it got me to buy a Frank Stokes CD which I have been thoroughly enjoying. Great songs, and a wonderful singer...in addition to his six-string chops. I've been working on incorporating Stokes' brushstroke playing on the verses with the instrumental break from Grossman. Still working on it, but I'm on my way.
the_big_crunch
Regular

Postby the_big_crunch » Tue May 09, 2006 2:53 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-09-06 AT 10:54 AM (EST)]>
>Yea,those spaces threw me off as well.
>And I hate those sweaters, like some 80's yuppie or
>something.
>But they aren't as bad as the ponchos he wore back when I
>bought a couple of books in the early 70's.
>

This could open the door to an entire thread on the fashion choices of musical instructors on instructional videos. I'm no "Mr. GQ" myself, but sometimes I wonder if they really do try to find the most awkward, and downright dork-y outfits they can find before they step in front of a camera. Ponchos?!?! Oy vey!! :0
the_big_crunch
Regular

Return to Guitar