1st complete tune, I'm stoked

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 am

I have software that can take the video and do whatever you like with the sound and video. Would take 30 hours to figure out how to use it. That's 30 hours lost playing the instrument and getting better. I just want to play the damn thing. I found a vocal teacher in my area that has worked with blues musicians in the past. Maybe I should smoke more cigarettes :lol:

I'm quitting in September when the baby is born. Figure I'll be too busy to feel sorry for myself, that's my logic.

Anyhow, I just want to find a range that's my range. I don't like singing so low, doesn't seem natural. If she tells me I suck and shouldn't sing, then that's it for my singing. I'd like to locate a good harp / singer so that I can concentrate on the instrument more.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Re:

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 am

jamesfarrell wrote:Well, I was always told I sound like an old black dude, when I do specific funny skits and voices that I can do with friends. So I thought, why not try the old black dude voice with this song :lol:

It's not really a struggle to sing it, it's just that I can barely speak after I sing it :lol:

I've tried it in D C# C, C# seems to work the best. My high voice sounds like absolute garbage. I figure I'm going to take a few lessons as I mentioned. I don't know if I can damage my voice singing like that. Or maybe I'll permanently change my voice into that :twisted:

Love the voice James You have good pitch, good phrasing. The problems you are having sound like classic breathing problems. Ciggarettes dont count. Its just learning how to use the voice as a whole instrument from your diaphram up to your sinus. Low notes resonate in your chest and voice box and take more breath and diaphram control, high notes resonate between the voice box and the sinuses and take less breath. A good singing teacher will show you this but dont let them fuck with your style.
michelle
Regular

Re: 1st complete tune, I'm stoked

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:47 am

Thanks Michelle. I never claim to be a singer, but like I always say, I ain't got a singer so I'm it. I tell folks, if you don't like my singing, your welcome to come the fuck up here and grab the mic and have at it. LOL>

I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just figure the low black guy voice is cool for blues so that seems to suit my range well.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 am

Damn, that's the wrong version of that. go back to the first page and check it again.

Shit.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:51 am

Try and let that low voice resonate in chest and relax your throat abit while slightly tightening your diaghram. If your throat hurts after singing its usually because your tightening muscles in your throat that dont need to be tightened. Alot of singer guitar players over work their throat and under work their diaphram. There are some really good exercises that help to get the muscles to do the right things automatically. just like fingers on a fret board. If the first singing teacher you go to tells you your crap dont give up just keep looking til you find someone who can help. YOUR VOICE ISN"T CRAP> IT"S GOOD and has alot of potential.
michelle
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks Michelle, thought I had a teacher but didn't work out so I'm on my own I guess. I'll experiment with what you recommended.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Did pretty good jamesfarrell .

Congratulations.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 am

Well, didn't mean to ignore anyone. However this thread is quite old. I guess it's Michelles fault it was resurrected from the dead. Funny that the first page linked to my original version of the song and when I clicked on it I was shocked because it was sort of a crappier version of the tune with NO HAT!!!! OMG

So I linked it up to the updated version which is better than the original, of course because of the hat.

Anyhow I appreciate the comments. When I started singing it was the toughest thing in the world for me to actually post a public video of my voice as I always thought it sucked. But some folks seem to like it which makes me happy as at least I know I have potential. I just wish I had more time to develop my voice. With only a few hours a night to practice it's tough enough memorizing songs let alone work on my voice.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby michelle » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:50 am

whoops, just checked out the date of this thread. Sorry bout that
michelle
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 am

No worries, if you have never seen it, I'm glad that you have.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar