1st complete tune, I'm stoked

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:40 am

I just tried to re-record it in the basement. The problem is my voice is low and raspy and the guitar is so f'n loud it overpowers my voice. Think I need a mic? I can't really sing any louder.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:33 pm

I bet you Chuck Norris could sing over that thing...but Chuck Norris doesn't need to sing. :lol:

You use fingerpicks right? You could switch to plastic or bare fingers while you are filming. A mic would probably help as long as it is not anywhere near the belly of that steel beast.
bignick
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Well, back in the day people use to sing without mic's so I guess I have to work on my technique, playing more quieter. I tried without the metal fingerpicks and I can't get use to the fingers.

I tried teh plastic ones and I can't get use to them either. I wish there was a plastic equivilent to the pro pic fingerpics I use, they are the ones that are hollowed out in the middle.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:36 pm

Maybe you could start another thread on that picks & fingers topic, and I bet you'd get a buncha ideas. Sometimes you develop techniques 'cuz you jus' gotta have that sound, and sometimes it's not worth the price you have to pay ( i.e., using nail hardeners is more than some guys wanna do.).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Just the opposite myself. I pick bare fingered, always have (pick a banjo barefingered as well). Have never managed to master finger picks. A nuisance when playing with others as I don't have nearly enough volume, and I don't really want to amplify my guitars. It's the attack on the strings that's missing.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:37 pm

I've tried several times to use a thumbpick and usually give up after a couple days. So instead I grow my nails out and use them. They're great - I never drop them :).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Yup, and you save so much time, not having to stand and shake your guitar around after they drop in the hole in the middle. :wink: :wink: :wink:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:36 pm

Here's a new version. New and improved with lighting and hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXEet7gTE6c
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:41 pm

You sure sing that one low, bro'; it makes it hard for me to hear your voice at times. I'm not bein' critical though....I think you pull the tune off well. I've always liked that tune.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Well I make no claim to be a singer. I don't really know how to sing. I try to sing up higher and it sounds like sh*t. I sing low and the guitar is louder. I tried to get the front of the guitar away from the dv camera mic so you could hear my voice better. It's not the best recording apparatus.

I plan on starting singing lessons after vacation to see if I have any potential. My goal is to get out and play. I know tons of guitarists that can sing, but aren't really good at playing, so I'm it. I appreciate any comments, whether it's criticism or whatever. I can handle it.

I should be singing at all because I was once told I suck :lol:

Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:30 pm

I know Aussies are supposed to be a long way down from here, but that voice is positively subterranean. Well done old fruit, well done.

Pitch: just a query, not any sort of complaint, have you tried capo & different keys if you're struggling with either too high or too low for comfort in what you're using? Maybe You Got To Move?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Well, I was always told I sound like an old black dude, when I do specific funny skits and voices that I can do with friends. So I thought, why not try the old black dude voice with this song :lol:

It's not really a struggle to sing it, it's just that I can barely speak after I sing it :lol:

I've tried it in D C# C, C# seems to work the best. My high voice sounds like absolute garbage. I figure I'm going to take a few lessons as I mentioned. I don't know if I can damage my voice singing like that. Or maybe I'll permanently change my voice into that :twisted:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Smoking
stratman_27
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:20 pm

what do you mean?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:34 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:I just tried to re-record it in the basement. The problem is my voice is low and raspy and the guitar is so f'n loud it overpowers my voice. Think I need a mic? I can't really sing any louder.

The good thing about using a microphone with your camera is that you have some control over which sound(s) you pick up. For example, you can face the dead spot on a non-omnidirectional towards the guitar, making it quieter. You'd have to experiment with location to get the mix and the tone how you like it.

I'm surprised that more cameras (especially digital) don't have a line-level input for dumping a nicer quality audio in a stream alongside the video.
musicalcarrion
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar