1st complete tune, I'm stoked

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 am

James, my $0.02 on the subject of work. I spent 30 years in Federal Law Enforcement. That gig resulted in having and losing three wives, multiple geographic moves, horendous hours, some filled with abject terror,etc, etc, etc. I reached mandantory retirement age and now I find that I've basically outlived my use in law enforcement related fields. I've lost good friends to murder, mental illness, suicide....that list goes on as well.

Now that I've retired, I have my hobbies, playing being one (make that trying to re-learn after many many years), a small machine shop at the house, my veggie garden, and finally a wife who can deal with my terminal insomnia, my non house broken personality and the night terrors when I do sleep.

So, don't let the grind get you down, do what you have to do to make a buck, but simultaneously do what you have to do to keep your head screwed on and your heart in the right place.

One last thing, did you ever get rid of the Brozeman dvd set?
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:38 pm

yeah the brozman dvd set is gone. I found it alright, but at the same time useless. Look up a guy, kenileeburgess on youtube. He'll get you started if your just starting out, and for free. Brozman is alright, I just think the guy has sort of a persona that puts forth somewhat of an ego. Maybe he just comes off that way. He's a nice guy though and always answers questions on the "Other" forum.

I just could care less about all the banging and shit on the guitar. It's a great set for learning the intricacies of how to slide properly and muting and noise reduction.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Doc wrote:I spent 30 years in Federal Law Enforcement.

I've always wanted to work in Federal Law Enforcement, but your experiences makes it sound really bad. Maybe I should find a new career option.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:40 am

Well, you know, every career's got its ups and downs. Don't care what it is.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:13 am

lefty, if that is your desire then I wouldn't advise not researching one of the many Fed Agencies. As Rico said any career has it's ups and downs. My experiences just happened to have been in a period where there was a significance violence factor at work and in the early years, not a lot of research had been done on coping with stress. I made it through it all, relatively intact, but I know many who just decompensated to the point of being useless both professionally and personally.

If there is an agency you are specifically interested in, let me know and possibly I can give you some insight regarding it.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:15 am

The world in general, people, likes to put other people in some sort of box, it helps them deal with life. I know I do; but one "box" that gets used a lot is, "What do yo Do?". And most of us say "I work in a factory, I'm an accountant, I drive a van", without realising that we have let their work define us, rather than the thing that is in our hearts.

So you could say you were trying to be a good father, or you could be like me, a man who loves racing cheap motorcycles, or like Grady, Walter and the rest who have made the jump, a professional musician. Much more honest, and it lets you put your day job into perspective, because that's all it ever is, a job.

I know one man (admittedly he had saved enough to make the jump and had a wife also working) who left Big Money IT that he loathed, and now he's an independant film producer and freelance cameraman after a couple of years training and then working for others. It can be hand to mouth, feast or famine, but he has a life and a reason to get out of bed every morning.

I'm not advocating anybody doing anything rash or sudden, but if where you are hurts, then finding something better is a reasonable and preferable option.

Whatever happens, carry on playing, being yourself.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:47 pm

Doc wrote:If there is an agency you are specifically interested in, let me know and possibly I can give you some insight regarding it.

The FBI is where I have always wanted to work. I plan on going to college and getting a major in Spanish, and I know that the FBI could use bi-lingual people.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Lefty they are also hiring at NoSuchAgency, CIA, DOD as well as the Prosecutors office in Durham, NC. The post office flag is flying at half mast this week and you know what that means...job openings!
texas blues
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:18 am

Hey, how the hell did this turn into a thread about the government?

:lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Its not the government. Its the MATRIX....and we are watching you Mr. Farrell.
texas blues
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Be proud Kev Dawg, all the BEST topics spin of in several different directions before returning to the original point of discussion!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 am

:shock:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Captain Lovehandles » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:30 pm

James, I really liked the vid and the vocals were great. I can sing pretty well, but I can't for the life of me sound like an 80 year old black man. You nailed that part. I would have to sing that an octave up. Great job.

I've been working on that song too, a la KeniLeeBurgess, but I've got it nowhere as good as you. That is good enough to warrant a retake with better lighting and a hat for sure.
Captain Lovehandles
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I could sing it a lot better. I was in a rush to get ONE FRIGN song done and up on youtube. I know I can do a lot better than that. I'm working on "Four walls of rainford right now. Easy song, easy vocals, not so easy mixing the 2 together. A lot of memorization to be done to pull that one off. I'll get it though. I'm frign determined :evil:

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:46 am

I know I'm a little late, but I just watched your video. I'd say you're pretty goddamn good for a first song ever learned.. lol.. Keep it up.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar