1st complete tune, I'm stoked

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:23 am

Well thanks Micky / everyone else. I guess I'll consider here on out that my voice is alright :lol:

I'm pretty stoked about the comments you cats all made. I appreciate honesty. If my voice was horrendous, I'd want to know, no matter how much it hurts. I basically never thought about playing out because of my voice.

Now I'm semi-convinced that this is something I could actually do. I'd love to eventually be able to have enough tunes under my belt to play out and at least quit my MISERABLE F*****G CORPORATE SOUL ROBBING IT job and do something less miserable part-time and make a little money playing music too. DID I MENTION THAT I HATE MY F*****G JOB? LOL. HATE, I'm talking a deep seeded hate that just emanates HATE unparalleled . LOL

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:02 am

Just out of curiosity, what do you do? I just want to know, so I don't end up there. :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Oracle Database Mechanic. Basically I try to make sh*tty software work.
I don't mention this to get people upset, but I went from fixing PC's @ $10 / hr to networking and finally into Oracle db stuff for a 3 fig salary.

When you make all that money, your lifestyle goes up and your still as broke as the guy working @ Home Depot (no offense to anyone that works there)

What I'm getting at is that the money is a f'n illusion. Most would say "quit bitching, your making all that money"

Well when your phone is ringing at 2am and you HATE the mindset of the industry, the money is sh*t.

Moral of the story. Doesn't matter what you make. Most of the millionaires in this country are not doctors / lawyers, etc... 80% of them will be screwed by the time they attempt to retire.

The wealthy ones are the people who make a decent living and know how to manage money and live frugally. These are the millionaires. The guy next door with the carpet cleaning van. I read a bunch of books on this. The media spreads the misconception about who has money and they are sensational liars. Live simple man.

I've been cutting down. I use to have every motorized toy you could want. I had 15 guitars at one point and 8 amps. I looked at all the crap one day and wanted to f'n burn it all. I sold it all. I have 1 mountain bike and a blues king and a national. I want a single cone national, but other than that, I don't need anything. Live simple, that's all I'm saying. When all you can think about 24/7 is how much you HATE your job and you feel like a f*****g slave, the money is irrelevant. Trust me.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Nice job! You're on your way.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:55 pm

You have picked the one sort of music your voice don't matter in; all you have to do is have the feeling in you. You're doing just fine.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 pm

I agree that bigger money ain't much to strive for. I've been in 3 figures as well, and jus' spent more. Playin' the blues has helped get me through the normal travails of any life, and helped me tolerate a management position I didn't enjoy. Now I'm back doin' what I like-- sellin' cars-- and I'm enjoying life much more. It does help to make enough money to eat, have decent transportation, health care, and keep you from fightin' with your wife, though. Everybody wants different things though, but the trick is to find out what you really want-- not what you think you want because of those "media" influences, or what the investment industry tells you to want (as was mentioned in the earlier post). Even in music, you have to find out if you want to play for your own enjoyment, play for others, gig semi-professionally, full-time, or just to get really good at somethin' you prefer to do.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks guys. When you start making money, you see the other sh*t that others have. Monkey see, monkey do. Then you realize that hole of a feeling in the middle of your chest is still unfulfilled and you learn that all the crap in the word can't fill it. That's what I've learned.

As for music, I'd love to be able to play a few clubs here and there and make a little money at it. I love playing music and have always wanted people to listen. There's nothing better than breaking out my 5 string open back banjo out at park or something like that. People see that thing and are like :shock:

It's amazing that an instrument that is so strong a part of our heritage that most people have never even seen. I'm not about ego. I just love the looks on the faces when they hear me break that out and play it. I find that most people lose interest quickly. I do as well with others that just play an instrument. No matter the technical ability, the voice is needed.

This is where singing comes into play I'd imagine. To keep people interested, you have to be able to paint a picture sort of in their mind, tell a story perhaps and draw them in, maybe I'm wrong.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm glad you're headed where you're headed. If you hate you're job, there is NO reason to stay. I think you sing great, and you play good too. I do however, think you pity yourself a little much. You say you're screwed by the time you retire? most people never retire, because if they did they'd be out of their home within the year. some people have it a lot worse than you, but I see where you're coming from. There's no reason to stay in a job you hate, because the fact of the matter is, if you have a 3 figure salary, you have the ability to get a pretty good salary at any job you actually like, so why not switch? If music is what you love, go for it. right on, man. :wink:
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Well, pity or not, 3 figure salary aside. I hear it all the time. Stop your bitchin folks say to me. Well, I'm bitching because I am upset over a lie I was sold. The American Dream Yo and the template you live by to fill in all the puzzle pieces. Now I have my life and it's not the one that I want basically.

I want out of IT basically. I hate it, hate the people in it and hate to the core of my soul anything to do with any corporate BS. People are so brainwashed too. "Hey, we're having a picnic on Saturday for work with FREE BEER"

Fu****g WOW HA? :shock: FREE BEER? And I get to hang with all of you an extra day? I get to donate one day of MY TIME to spend it with you? OUT****INGSTANDING EH? And I'm the ass***le ha? LOL. Nobody gets it.

Anyhow, how the hell did this turn into a work thread. Back to the music, it's the only thing that soothes the soul :twisted:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:48 pm

I hear ya James,
Man, I've worked for Minimum wage and I've worked $18.00 an hour.
No matter how much money I made, I had the same amount left at the end of the Month.
Every time you get some money saved up, something breaks and there goes the money you saved.

I never was happy until I started playing Music for a living.
I now make more money than I did when I was working a day job and I couldn't be happier or more satisfied with my Life and everything in it.
I have my Son, my Marriage is great.

Life is the best it's ever been.

It's a BIG step to go from a guaranteed income to playing music for a living but, after you get rollin', it's all good.

I wouldn't change a thing.
grady
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 pm

my advice: Play music and WORK. That was always the real america, blue collar. nothing is more satisfying than putting in a days labor at a real job. Work a factory, or construction, or move out farther and log or work on a farm. Maybe its not for everybody, but for me that was always the real American dream. A combo of work and music to fill out days, and you'll never be happier.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 pm

LOL, and you're upset about the AAmerican dream being less than promised, to put it nicely, I lived in a four room shack for the first 12-13 years of my life, and we didnt think it was so great then either. But we changed that, and thats when we were really happy, because we were allowed out of poor living.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Well, it's all about what you think you want, then you get it and you don't want it anymore. I'd love to move to a wooden 4 room shack in the middle of nowhere. But once I got there, I'd probably want to move back to the rat race.

I think when your doing your own work, to survive, it's more satisfying. I'd hate for music to become a job though. I enjoy playing and a lot of musicians I hear of let it become a job and have no desire to play except when it's time for work.

To me, I'd love to live on a farm. I worked on one growing up, cutting and bailing hay and working hog. Bust ass work for $3 an hour, but your right, there was a sense of accomplishment. I get zero satisfaction out of my job. On the farm, the days were early and got done early, which I liked.

As I said, I think when your growing your own food and working a farm to survive, it's for you, not for some greedy asshole. I just don't understand corporate. Everything has got to be better, so you can work faster, so you have more time to do more work. I'll never ever come to terms with that mindset.

Others tell me to live it. I say FU to them. I'm against the grain till the end.
Damn, another song, look at that "Against the grain till the end" :lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 pm

I think you've got everything figured out just right. what you just said sums up the point I was trying to make entirely. Keep pickin, and make sure you have fun doing it. :wink:

p.s-I think most of us hate corporate. I know I do.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 am

My 2 cents - you can be unfulfilled in any kind of work. Work is never going to really satisfy you, it's just some kinds might keep you interested longer than others.

Then again, IT departments always bug me, it always seems like a collection of personality disorders :). We've joked at my place that our IT people are working hard to "achieve 100% downtime with the Oracle servers."
zhyla
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar