Learning Tabs

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby Bobcat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:18 am

5_iron tonight is my first night at this and I really got ito it. In open G my natural inclination to play tends to have a John Lee Hooker boogie beat with slides into third fret to fifth or sixth fret and back into third and then open again for a bar or two in that boogie beat. I absolutely love it. The guitar came to life and actually produced music, not high quality music but music none the less.
I used a Craftman socket in the left hand and when my pick flew away I continued by using index finger and thumb for a much smoother and more controlable sound. I broke a first string or I would still be hammering on it. Great fun like I never had in years. I`m 63 but feel like a big kid tonight with a brand new toy. I don`t care if I never get any better at least for tonight i feel like I could entertain myself like this for a long time.
In addition to the book by Madsen I`ll try to get the DVD by Kelly Joe Phelps. I was at his website yesterday. Thanks for your help. Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:36 am

I hate sheet music and theory. So, I love tabs!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bobcat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:40 pm

yes lefty i`ld be willing to bet that the pioneers of delta blues as we know them probably never learned to read anything let alone sheet music. I can see Charlie Patton seated upright before a stand with sheet music sayin "man this blues damn shore do be hard to read". Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:33 pm

I took piano lessons for 5 years until a few of years ago when I turned 14 and realised it sucked. I could never learn anything I wanted and I was having theory crammed down my throat so fast that it was coming out of my ears. A year ago I decided to learn the guitar and I had a friend show me how to read tabs. You dont even need musical theory for tabs. Maybe counting your beats and and timing and such. But tabs are great IMO, but some people here will tell you otherwise. In another thread months ago there were a few people (I dont remember who) that were talkin about why we shouldnt use tabs. What have you got to lose? :?:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bobcat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:57 pm

lefty whereas I am not going to the effort to study music I would give a lot to have what you have in the form of musical education. You can always chose to disregard theory BUT at the same time it as at your disposal when needed or wanted.
I know of some pretty good examples of musicians that are very well educated. Jack Bruce being one as a graduate of the Scotish Consevtatory of Classical Music (IIRC). He didn`t let that get in his way when playing good rock and roll or blues. Who knows it might even have helped him.
Seems like to me that tabs is a bare minimal for someone like myself lacking a gift in music and not having the ability to just play what I hear right off. In my case I just see it as a shortcut. Cheers. Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby Bobcat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:18 pm

5_iron you mentioned a desire for an old Slingerland Songster.
After reading what ricochet was saying about the Slingerland I did a Yahoo on it and found that both were correct.
Gibson does use that trade name a a release for its lower line. But in addition to that there are still a few old Slingerland songsters out there from the original 30s era production.
I have a link to one for sale here:
http://www.elderly.com/brand/GUIT_slingerland.html
Its an elderly guitar just like I`m an elderly guy but I think we both have a little blues left in us just waiting to get out.
here`s a link for Slingerlands in gereral. Very interesting especially the New Marvel #86 or Night Hawk Style 83

http://www.tbcnet.com/~slingerland/slingerlands.htm

Cheers. Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby 5_iron » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:36 pm

Bobcat,
That's great you are getting some kicks out of your Open G lap playing. Lots of cool things you can do sliding barre chords - don't forget to try those "Crossroads" type slides up to the 12th fret (treble strings). Try some Muddy Waters type stuff, maybe Bo Diddley beat stuff (bam-da-bam-da-bam--BAM-bam) - all within your reach.

I have my sights on a 1930s Slingerland - probably a May Bell parlour model though. Heard great things about that one.

Regards
5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm

If anyone in the world lacks a gift in music its me. I guarantee that. I cant play anything by ear either. After a solid year of playing guitar, I still suck even though I play for two hours a day or more. You definately dont need musical theory to be a good musician. haha. Thats a fact.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bobcat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 pm

5_iron I missed this link to some more interesting instruments from DK`s collection.
http://www.tbcnet.com/~otcbr/dkinstruments.htm

I`ll try the slides into the 12th fret. Tell me more about that . I assume 12th fret is same as open like it would be in conventional tuning.
So far what I am getting beside John Lees boogie is something that sounds like Little Red Rooster, something that sounds like the introduction to Spirit in the Sky combined or Canned Heats On The Road Again and something that resembles I`m a Man/ Hoochie Koochie Man. Its all fun.
Thanks again.
I learned from that site that my Songster is a 20 fret and rare version. Live and learn I guess. Not that it will ever matter to me one way or the other. I just like that sound that comes out of it no matter how many frets it has. Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Gibson's done the same thing to a bunch of brandnames of formerly high-class musical competition, including Epiphone, Electar, Tobias, Slingerland, Kramer... I can't think if there are others, but they're all listed at http://musicyo.com/
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:33 am

These are the instruments I'm working with for Lap style playing;

Note the Schatten pickup on the Acoustic.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bobcat » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:41 am

Allan that really looks like some nice vintage equipment there. i think I would be almost afraid to use it. Bet its got that old sound though.
Whe I last lived in Portland these were THE blues guys. Any of them left?
Pete Karnes
Paul DeLay (was in jail on drug charges last i heard)
Curtis Delgato
Terry Robb
Chris Miller
Someplace i still have photos of John Lee Hooker taken at Starry Night for Positively Entertainment when I was with them. If I can find them I`ll post them here. How do you imbed photos to open with the post as you did with the instruments in the previous post? Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:56 am

Curtis Salgado everyone's heard of by now. Shame he hasn't been in great health.

Paul Delay I've heard of, too.

The others, no bells are ringing.

The electric is a Magnatone from the mid fifties; the Acoustic is likely from the Twenties, and has been jerried together by Fatdog himself - it was pretty cheap. Lovely sound, though.

I raised the nut myself - I just shaped a hardwood piece and mounted the "original" nut on top of that.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bobcat » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:38 pm

5_iron is the Kelly Joe Phelps exclusively lap style playing. None of the DVDs I have found are. I think that they are so different from each other i will try not to get a lesson that features regular slide. Bobcat
Bobcat
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar