Blues solo.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby nizer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 pm

I can't read music and know virtually nothing about music theory, but I created these for myself to practice targeting tritone intervals. Please let me know if I'm off base here.

nizer
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:08 pm

I can't tell ya if it's whack or not but thanks, I'm printing it out and takin' it home to see what new thing I can discover. You put down more notes in the pattern than I already play.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 pm

I tried them patterns out this morning and they didn't work for me.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby A Spoonful Supreme » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Sing what you play.
A Spoonful Supreme
Regular

Postby BadBoyJones » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 pm

I got a good question: How many scales do you use in the Blues?! I'm asking this not without a reason, Its because Ive been arguing with some guy on another (Polish) forum and I'm quite sure that what they say is absolute rubbish,

Bad Boy Jones
Last edited by BadBoyJones on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadBoyJones
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Hmmmm. Polish blues...???????? I thought that was the "Too Fat Polka" friend......

"I don't want her, you can have her. She's too fat for me...."

Now.... Thats blues.....
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... music.html

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby BadBoyJones » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BadBoyJones
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 pm

I couldn't help myself........

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby T-bone » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 pm

BadBoyJones wrote:I got a good question: How many scales do you use in the Blues?! I'm asking this not without a reason, Its because Ive been arguing with some guy on another (Polish) forum and I'm quite sure that what they say is absolute rubbish,

Bad Boy Jones

I more or less just use the first scale I ever learned, t.i. the classic blues box scale. The more I played the more notes I added. I pretty much use all notes between the root and the root. Theoretically, I believe that would be a sort of mixolydic scale...However, I´d rather think in terms of phrases. In short, I use 1 scale.
T-bone
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Wouldn't likely be the Myxolydian mode, because that's just the major scale with a flat 7. Doesn't sound too bluesy. It's perfect for playing things like "Old Joe Clark." In blues you use the b3 a lot, the b5 more or less, and lots of other notes do fit well in passing. The b6 is one I use a lot in turnarounds, especially. (b6 -> 5) And the 2 note often comes into play. I rarely think in terms of a particular scale, other than the blues scale extended with other notes when it sounds like they belong.
ricochet
Regular

Postby T-bone » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:58 pm

OK; you´re probably right! I really have no idea what I´m doing I just know what sounds right to me.
T-bone
Regular

Postby Erikjr21 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:09 am

Man.... ive never relized music was so complicated. I thought you just played it and asked people what they thought. Well either way just by feeling or the amazing puzzle it can be its pretty awsome.

ps good luck guitar players that shit looks like a s.a.t
Erikjr21
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Erikjr21 wrote:Man.... ive never relized music was so complicated. I thought you just played it and asked people what they thought. Well either way just by feeling or the amazing puzzle it can be its pretty awsome.

ps good luck guitar players that ******** looks like a s.a.t

Computers work on binary, you have 2 numbers , 0 & 1. Look how much you can do with just those two, then think about music having 12 numbers; big ain't it?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby voneville » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:14 am

I learned the blues scale years ago (the standard box) but I couldn't do anything with it. I picked up a book with a CD and it had a few standards in it (dust my broom, born under a bad sign, etc). Being able to apply it to a song and get a feel for it unlocked so many doors. I got a huge rush of inspiration and started playing along with some muddy waters CD's. Just improvising and having fun.

Blues also is not just about notes, it's about timing. That really is the brush stroke. I can play a simple Albert King lick note for note and I can garauntee you that you wouldn't reconize it because my sense of timing and how I bend notes is so different from A. King or anyone else for that matter.

I'm proud of that, but it makes me a lousy stand in at the blues jams, cause I don't play sweet home chicago or red house....
voneville
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:56 pm

voneville wrote:Blues also is not just about notes, it's about timing. That really is the brush stroke. I can play a simple Albert King lick note for note and I can garauntee you that you wouldn't reconize it because my sense of timing and how I bend notes is so different from A. King or anyone else for that matter.
Boy, you got that right! I remember my teacher tabbing out for me a version of Hard Times Killin' Floor that I only heard him play briefly, and I had no recording. Had little idea what it was supposed to sound like. I tried to play it as a slow blues, and it actually makes for a very cool riff that way, but it doesn't sound anything like Skip James!
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar