help with alternating bass

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 am

I hear ya man. I know all about the practice routine unfortunately. Play the boring stuff till your ready to set the guitar on fire and the longer you can push yourself to do the boring stuff, the better the good stuff will sound.

What do you suggest for a tuning to practice that? Standard tuning? Also, your using your index finger and not your thumb for the higher notes on the alternating part right? I gotta get me some books and vids too.

So I basically should do what I did when I started clawhammer banjo. Learn the above rythms till I can do it without lookin at it, then load the crank pipe, sit in front of the idiot box with guitar in hand and watch Tom and Jerry reruns for 2 months :lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby nizer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:02 am

What do you suggest for a tuning to practice that? Standard tuning?

Yes, standard.

Also, your using your index finger and not your thumb for the higher notes on the alternating part right?

Thumb for the alternating bass (bottom A and E strings) and forefinger for the B string. Later you can add your index finger when you play notes on the high E string.

...then load the crank pipe, sit in front of the idiot box with guitar in hand and watch Tom and Jerry reruns for 2 months

???!!! I think smoking crank and watching Tom and Jerry reruns for 2 months could be very dangerous. :twisted:
nizer
Regular

Postby houndog » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:57 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:I hear ya man. I know all about the practice routine unfortunately. Play the boring stuff till your ready to set the guitar on fire and the longer you can push yourself to do the boring stuff, the better the good stuff will sound.

There is of course a short cut to that way James.

Go out and play live gigs with a better guitar player than you.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:49 am

houndog wrote:
jamesfarrell wrote:I hear ya man. I know all about the practice routine unfortunately. Play the boring stuff till your ready to set the guitar on fire and the longer you can push yourself to do the boring stuff, the better the good stuff will sound.

There is of course a short cut to that way James.

Go out and play live gigs with a better guitar player than you.

adios,
Lovat

If I knew anybody. Nobody plays music anymore
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:04 am

Geeze, out here it's the opposite problem - every joker out here seems to be in a band.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:40 pm

See in Massachusetts, all there is is work. It's all people care about. I hate this *****g place. If I didn't have a kid, I'd quit my job, burn my house down

but I'm living the american dream right? I'm happy right?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:02 pm

Been practicin a little john hurt tabs I found. I didn't think I was really getting the alternating bass thing, but something happened and I recorded it. I don't know if I'm really doing alternate bass, but it sounds ok, I think for a suck ass player like myself :lol:

The first part is ruff but gets a little better. Now I just need to learn how to do this better and incorporate slide into it somehow :(

http://www.thenaughtynurse.net/pickn.wmv
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 pm

I couldn't agree more, Creole Belle is the first alternating bass song I learned many moons ago. I still play it to this day, a great song is timeless. Anyway, it's like the others said, it's just down to putting in the time on the basics and doing it over and over.
Rythameen
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar