nut extension

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

nut extension

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:19 am

Avoiding the obvious joke...I am trying to learn slide on an acoustic and have heard that using a nut extension is a good idea. What do you guys think? I've tried to find one, but they all seem to wide for my fingerboard.
dbugger
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:28 am

Are you interested in playing Lap Style or Bottleneck Style?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:30 am

bottleneck
dbugger
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:41 am

Don't bother, then, you shouldn't need one.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:38 pm

thanks guys. Should i start using medium strings? Also, I'm getting alot of buzzing on the 5th and 6th strings. Is this just poor technique or is there another explanation?
dbugger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Yeah the nut extension is a Bad Idea if you want to play bottleneck. You need to be able to fret. Raising the strings with a nut extension makes fretting hard and screws up your intonation.

Besides, you'll often be the butt of an obvious joke if you've got one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:31 pm

dbugger wrote:thanks guys. Should i start using medium strings? Also, I'm getting alot of buzzing on the 5th and 6th strings. Is this just poor technique or is there another explanation?

I assume you are using a lower tension tuning like Open G or D. The likely result is that the light gauge bass strings now have too little tension. When combined with action that presumably is not set up for slide, you are probably getting fret buzz on those strings. So the short answer is go to mediums and raise the action. (But I would just switch to mediums first, and maybe add a bit of relief, and see what result you get. It may be high enough already. No sense is raising the action unnecessarily.)

If it is not fret buzz that you're getting, be careful you are not inadvertantly contacting those strings with the slide -- or make sure that you are getting solid contact if you are attempting full chord sliding. Any contact with the slide and strings that is not solid will cause buzzing as well. But my guess is you are referring to fret buzz.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Great advice. I am new to acoustic slide playing, so I don't know how to raise the action. My bridge is not adjustable, so I am stumped. I am playing in open D and G, sounds like the heavier strings will help to raise the tension. The buzz on the 5th string is especially prominent when playing full chords. I must not be contacting it properly.
dbugger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm

If you want to raise the action a little at the bridge (which can be a Good Thing at times), put a thin shim beneath the saddle.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:09 pm

I am a complete beginnner, so what is a shim and how do you put one beneath the saddle?
dbugger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 pm

A thin, flat piece of just about any kind of firm material. You could cut one out of something like an old credit card, a piece of cardboard, thin wood veneer, lots of things. When you take all the strings off the guitar, the saddle will lift (or fall) out of its slot. They're often asymmetrical, so note which way it goes. Put your shim in the bottom of the slot, set the saddle back on it, string it back up and retune it.

To raise the action a given amount at the 12th fret takes shimming the saddle by twice that amount.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:28 pm

wow, very cool. Not as complicated as I had expected. Thanks for your help ricochet. Right now my action at the 12th fret is about 7/64 on bass E string and 5/64 on treble E. I will be playing slide a great majority of the time, so what should my target action be. Thanks again for all the help.
dbugger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:31 pm

I think my Johnson's got 'em about 5/32" at the 12th fret. It's not a bad idea to have 'em a little higher on the bass side, as those strings vibrate through a wider arc.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dbugger » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:43 pm

So, sounds like I could afford to raise em a ways. The good news is, I have plenty of credit cards that I don't mind cutting to pieces.
dbugger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:15 pm

That's likely a good thing. They make good picks, too.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar