Check out my home depot special

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Check out my home depot special

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:00 pm

Went to the music store to find a smaller diameter slide. No dice. So I said, Home Depot ought to have a slide. Sure enough, a quick visit to the plumbing section and there was several diameter brass nipples, with threaded ends. I hacked off the threaded portion, I dremeled, sanded, dremeled, sanded, steel wooled. Then I got the bright idea to break out the ole brasso polish and the thing really came to life.

Took a while to make this, but I love makin stuff. Came out awesome, feels awesome. Ima try it out later on.

James

jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:54 pm

That looks pretty nice. Good job, James.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:36 am

VERY clean work James! Was it yer first?
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dbugger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:47 am

Pretty impressive. Every time I go to home depot I spend 20 minutes looking for a guy with an orange jacket, and when I finally catch one they tell me everything I already know. And I know next to knothing about do-it-yourselfing.
dbugger
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:57 am

Yeah this one, well, she was my first :oops:

Home depot is ridiculous. I spent 40 minutes looking for those cedar closet / drawer fresheners. Now of course it's not by the air fresheners, but over by the closet and shelving stuff. I asked 4 people, nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. This was for a stinky guitar case. I walked by the cedar blocks about 3 times, then I finally found them.

When I go into HD, I'm like the terminator. Mission? GET IN, GET OUT. I absolutely despise the place. I only use the ORANGE PEOPLE to help me find something. They know absolutely nothing about anything other than where some stuff is located. Like WOOD :shock: and Lawn Tractors, obvious stuff that sticks right out at you.

Yeah, it was fun making this thing. I'm pissed though, I cut it a tad short. I still clears all 6 strings, but you have to be a bit technical or you miss a string. I should have made it an 1/8 longer. The other brass nipple I used to make a shortie. So perhaps I'll go back and pick up one more.

I've also been making bone saddles too, that's fun. I make them with a belt sander and they come out better than the ones Gibson makes. Note: Don't grind down bone saddles in your house. BONE DUST GETS EVERYWHERE. All over my computer, bookshelf, speakers :lol:

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:13 am

Now, I know not to grind inside!

Don't sand the edges of cutoff bottlenecks inside, either! Do it outside, facing downwind. You don't want to breathe glass dust.

I'll admit, though, that I blasted out the horrendous moldy mess of mouse nest inside my Hammond organ by waiting until (A) my wife had left and (B) there was a strong breeze blowing from the back of the house to (C) open the windows in the front and back and blast out the inside of the organ with a big leaf blower. Made a tremendous choking cloud of allergens, but the wind carried it all right out the front windows and door. Got it all cleared out, swept and vacuumed the floor, shut the windows and got the air conditioning back on just in time before she came back.

Nice work on the brass slide!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:08 am

That's a piece of artwork...I really like the cut-out. That's nicer than the music store bought slides by a long shot.
1four5
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:56 am

1four5 wrote:That's a piece of artwork...I really like the cut-out. That's nicer than the music store bought slides by a long shot.

Thanks, I had no idea it would come out as good as it did. My intention was to cut the threaded ends off and polish it up. However I had to taper the inside caus my pinky couldn't fit well.

Then I remembered the cut out slot and used a dremel with a little 1/4" sanding barrell. Like I said the sandpaper, going from heavy grit to finally emery cloth looked cool. But it was the brasso polish that made the thing really come to life.

I'd love to make these things for a job, but the frign thing took like almost 2 hours to make. Unless you could charge $200 a piece, it's not worth it. :lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby diamond » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:38 am

Nice job James :wink: That's a real beaut! :D

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :)
diamond
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:39 pm

Thanks D. i was lookin on ya site and I wana order a glass slide. I can't believe I can't get one with a notch? Jeesh.

Hypothetically speaking of course. How would one cut a notch in one of these? Also if I order one, do they ship from the US or the UK.

Thanks

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:43 pm

The problem with notched slides is that they can't be rotated when they get scratched and rough on their bottom surface.

I've never had a desire for a notched one, I'm perfectly happy with straight-cut cylindrical slides.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:46 pm

Didn't think about that. It's great if your making home made ones I guess. I haven't played enough to see any wear on any of mine yet.

Is there any material that doesn't wear out? Titanium? :lol:

I can do without the notch as well, just wanted to see what it would feel like. It's a tad more comfortable, but my playing position doesn't really require it.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:41 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:Is there any material that doesn't wear out? Titanium? :lol:
Diamond slides would be pretty scratch resistant, I'd think. Alas, I think Big D's misleading us and makes his slides out of glass.
ricochet
Regular

Postby diamond » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi James - i'm sure we can 'bend the rules' for ya....e-mail me direct from our website and we'll talk some more :wink: The reason we 'officially' can't offer the notch-cut slide option over there is that the patent (U.S.) is owned by this company http://www.therockslide.com Therefore anyone selling any kind of 'cylindrical object for use on musical instruments which contains a crescent cut' - is deemed to be violating a product which is protected by an officially purchased registered patent.....I know a lot of slide guy's out in 'webland' who openly offer this kind of cut option & i bet THEY haven't been hit on by the 'slide police' :evil:

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com

P.S.....our new generation of '50/50' slides are now made with titanium inner 'core' tubes :o
diamond
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:19 pm

diamond wrote:... The reason we 'officially' can't offer the notch-cut slide option over there is that the patent (U.S.) is owned by this company http://www.therockslide.com Therefore anyone selling any kind of 'cylindrical object for use on musical instruments which contains a crescent cut' - is deemed to be violating a product which is protected by an officially purchased registered patent.....I know a lot of slide guy's out in 'webland' who openly offer this kind of cut option & i bet THEY haven't been hit on by the 'slide police' :evil:

Even though I never heard that stated, I always assumed it was an issue with the "Rockslide". It's hard to imagine that something as basic as a cut like that could be patentable, especially when not combined with the other features, and especially the materials used. To me, that is like patenting a rounded edge, or bullet end, or a taper. Kind of ridiculous IMO.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar