Blues Camp

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Blues Camp

Postby Bloozman » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:17 am

I have a little time off from playing, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a Blues Camp where one can go and submerge themselves in blues with other musicians for about a week or so...Kinda like a week long jam with maybe even an instructor there..I have a friend who went to Bluegrass camp. I think its a great idea...Can anyone help?...Thanks Bloozman
Bloozman
Regular

Postby dr_john » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:24 pm

where are you bloozman?

here in england i went to a weekend blues guitar thing in the lake district a couple of years ago, there was a tutor but also plenty of time to jam with like minded people.

i had a great time and learned a lot.

of course all the above is not much use to you if your not in uk.
dr_john
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:41 pm

I worked the National Guitar Workshop in Oakland a few years ago - all sorts of clinics and classes going on including Blues.

Roy Rogers made a little presentation, too.

Hard to tell if the punters were learning anything, but they seemed to be having fun.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:05 pm

"And one time at band camp....." 8)
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Hey bloozman, I have a magazine on nationwide blues festivals and there is some stuff in there about camps. What state are you located in? I can look some stuff up for you.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:07 pm

I know there's something called Fur Peace Ranch around here. I've never been to it, but Chris Smither teaches there and he told me it was great. They that Jorma guy there too..
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bloozman » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:27 pm

Guys...Im in North Carolina, but I will travel if the situation is right...Thanks Bloozman
Bloozman
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:47 pm

I believe the Fur Peace Ranch is located in Ohio. Don't know if they offer programs dedicated to blues, but they have workshops taught by visiting pro's like Roy Bookbinder and others. I think it was started and is run by Jorma Kaukenan. There's a website, check it out.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Fur Piece Ranch

Postby cllvt » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Bloozman wrote:Guys...Im in North Carolina, but I will travel if the situation is right...Thanks Bloozman

Yeah -I have heard great things about the Fur Piece. They have quite a variety of instructors that attend, and depending on what you are looking for, you sigh up for what you want. I believe they fill up pretty quickly, so check it out. I have a friend that went a few weeks ago, and he is already talking about going back. Many of the people there had attended numerous times, which is a pretty good endorsement in and of itself I guess. Bunkhouses are small, but the camp/music/and food is great I hear!
cllvt
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 pm

dr_john wrote:where are you bloozman?

here in england i went to a weekend blues guitar thing in the lake district a couple of years ago, there was a tutor but also plenty of time to jam with like minded people.

I'm here in B37 with lots of spare time now, where the bludyel are you?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dr_john » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:01 pm

maxx england wrote:
dr_john wrote:where are you bloozman?

I'm here in B37 with lots of spare time now, where the bludyel are you?

i told yer before maxx i'm in barrow on soar, where the bludyel is B37 anyow?

:D
dr_john
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:03 am

It's on the eastern edge of bludy Birmingham. I could get across to you when I am allowed to drive again, or you can e-mail me and arrange to come across to me.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar