Cuttin bottle necks....

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Cuttin bottle necks....

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:13 pm

This subject has been worn out but I'd just like to let ya'll know that a "Tile Saw" IS the ticket!
I'm having some tile work done on my house and asked the installer if he'd slice off a neck for me..... Sliced through it like butter!
They have those cheapo tile saws at places like Harbor Freight for around 60 bucks (US) so for those so inclined, give it a go!
My newest slide is a dark greenish/amber glass from a mid priced wine bottle and produces a sweet tone!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 pm

Cool, that sounds way easier than the glass cutter that I used years ago.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:11 pm

It took about 20-30 seconds and almost no sharp edge to be sanded!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Yeah, one of those tile cutters is on my want list. I've got grocery sacks of nice bottles piled up all over my basement awaiting cutting.
ricochet
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:34 am

Another alternative is 'rental yard' tools for a tilesaw. Might be worthwhile to rent one for a day, if you've got a bunch of bottles to cut, and no other use for the saw. Be sure To Wear eye protection, and Do Not Wear gloves.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 am

Excellent idea!
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:17 am

Yeah I like that Crow!
I did run a strip of masking tape around the neck as a guide line but it also may have helped w/ the clean cut!
I'm gonna round off the end w/ a high speed 1" belt sander (super fine) and jewelers rouge tomorrow. I'll report my progress!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:44 pm

It's been mentioned b4, but I'll repeat that the different colors in glass are a result of different metal oxides added to the glass in its molten state, and produce different levels of hardness. I think that cobalt makes blue, and iron makes green. Regular clear glass by comparison is rather soft. So, you may find that different colors produce different sounds.

I'm working on making a slide from bone that I got from the pet supply store in the doggy aisle. Sterilized cow bone. Comes in various sizes and shapes, some have a nice gentle radius to match a fretboard, and flair out at the end.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:34 am

I put the finishing touches on my bottle neck today and it turned out great!

I'm headed over to the coast tomorrow for some much needed R&R and will take at least one guitar and a box fulla slides.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slinks » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:34 pm

That's awesome. I tried to go at it with just a hacksaw the first time I tried to do it. Needless to say, it didn't go very well. I'll have to try to get my mitts on a tile saw.
slinks
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:45 pm

Fantastic tip!!! Too bad you folks don't reside in a more northerly local, as I happen to have one of them there tile saws ...
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby whitewolfofsc » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:37 pm

The idea about making a slide from cowbones sounds good! I live about 500 feet away from a cowfield here in SC, and my dogs have the yard constantly full of cow bones LOL! All I have to do is go through their collection,which is currently around 20 bones, not including the ones they buried or ate already.Thank you for that tip.
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Return to Guitar