my sucky slide technique

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby bluzeluvr » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:45 am

jamesfarrell wrote:Can anybody throw out a measurement?

Sure. As measured at the 12th fret, and with medium strings, a tad less than an 1/8 of an inch overall works well, with the #1 string a bit lower than the #6. As a point of reference, I measured my tricone action. The #1 is just slightly over 6/64 (3/32), and the #6 is just slightly over 8/64 (1/8"). This is how I received it new. If I were to set it up myself, I would leave the action on the treble side as is, and maybe lower the bass string to just under 1/8. However, it works well enough as is, so I never bothered messing with it.

But it's all a matter of playing style, string gauge, string tension, and slide weight. Some folks set it a bit higher and some lower. In general, the "optimal" setting is that which reliably keeps the strings and slide from contacting the frets, while still allowing for fretting that is done with relative ease.
Last edited by bluzeluvr on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:51 am

Well I discovered something cool last night. I usually play Carter music, that's what I started out with and they tune down real low. So I use standard tuning, but instead of E, I'm tuning like a D standard tuning. Well with this, which is 2 steps below standard, when I drop down into open D it's way low.

This makes the slide sound real real crappy. So I tuned to standard E and then dropped to open D and I couldn't believe the difference in tone. It was like I was a new slide player.

Plus I slapped some med strings on as well.

I still don't get the alternating bass thing. Are there any tabs out there with simple practice exercizes?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:55 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:So I use standard tuning, but instead of E, I'm tuning like a D standard tuning. Well with this, which is 2 steps below standard, when I drop down into open D it's way low.
No, man, D standard is 2 half steps or one step down. If you're tuning down from that the same way you do from standard into Open D, you're tuning into "C Vastapol" tuning, which is different from what the fingerpickers call "Open C." If you're gonna tune down that low, you need way heavy strings to keep 'em from flopping around.

"Open C" is CGCGCE, from low to high. Open D tuned down a step, "C Vastapol," is CGCEGC.

In "Open C," the second string is tuned up a step from standard tuning, the first string is the same, the third is the same, and the fourth, fifth and sixth strings are tuned down.

Since I play more in Open D than anything, I think of Open C as a raised tuning, since the first three strings are at higher pitches, although the lower three are lower than in Open D. The first three are stretched mighty tight for the string gauges I've got on my Johnson. I don't use that tuning regularly, and it's not a traditional blues tuning, but the modern fingerpickers use it a bunch. The interesting thing about it is that it's a third major pattern of open tunings. Open D has the third on the third string. Open G has the third on the second string. Open C has the third on the first string. Different patterns make different sorts of licks handy.
ricochet
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Yip,
the distance from the moon to us is about 240,000 miles .
My Volvo has covered 165,463 miles.
And you can buy a bit of the moon and other planets.
http://www.moonestates.com/cat_Moon.asp

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 am

Mind your own damn business. This is a family site anyway.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:08 pm

houndog wrote:

I thought there was an agreement that noone could own extra-terrestrial objects...

Bournio
Bournio
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:38 pm

houndog wrote:

Yip,
the distance from the moon to us is about 240,000 miles .
My Volvo has covered 165,463 miles.

adios,
Lovat

ROTFLMAO !!!!
grady
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar