my sucky slide technique

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Nice..

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:37 pm

[quote="Guys, any cd's you could recommend. [/quote]

There is SOOO much material out there!!!! I started on slide after listening to Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal. Check out Cooder's "Boomer's Story" from the early 70s. A Taj Mahal compilation such as "Taj's Blues" will cover both electric and National Steel sliding. The electric material is played by Jesse Ed Davis, who according to Taj, taught Dwayne Allman to play slide. His licks on "Statesboro Blues" are great. Taj plays a more restrained style on songs such as "East Bay women" and "Dust My Broom", generally using Open D.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:40 pm

what about acoustic only slide stuff. I tend to like the raw stuff. guitar, harmonica, swamp style.

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:58 pm

I don't see anything wrong at all with your technique. The only comment I can pass is that you appear a little "tight", you know, nervous in front of the camera. Just carry on being yourself with your own sound, what you have there is pretty damn OK.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rust » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:24 am

Blind Willie Johnson
Rust
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:04 am

maxx england wrote:I don't see anything wrong at all with your technique. The only comment I can pass is that you appear a little "tight", you know, nervous in front of the camera. Just carry on being yourself with your own sound, what you have there is pretty damn OK.

Na, I'm not worried about the camera really, it's just that I wanted to make a vid so to see what everyone thought of my sliding as a beginner and get pointers and whatnot. Appreciate all the responses BTW. It's just that this was like my 2nd week or whatever playing slide and I had a couple things in my head and I was stressin as to not forget them in between setting up the cam and whatnot. But I do get that a lot. People always ask me. " Kev, what you so angry about" and I'm like huh? I'm not angry. I just got a natuarally pissed off look to me. But I don't get angry about anything anymore really. Stress and anger is self created and that's what causes people to get diseases. Anyhow thanks for all the replies.

James "Angry Man" Farrell
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby caub » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:47 am

I think it sounds like your slide is pyrex and not real glass. You can't use the "glass" slides you see in the store, especially not on acoustic. Its like trying to use plastic. I love glass slides but it has to be real glass. For acoustic my favorite is the good ole craftsman socket.
caub
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:49 am

I don't know, it's very light, that's all I know, and it's a dunlop. It probably is pyrex. It doesn't seem very smoothe on the strings.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby caub » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:54 am

You say you just started playing slide, but how long have you played guitar? What musicians have you been listening to that influenced you to pick up the slide? If you don't mind me being nosey.
caub
Regular

Postby houndog » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:31 am

Hello James,
good tune and well done.

But if I may step into the pedantry chair for a moment, you are not playing alt bass , which works on this tune because your thumb pick is following the riff on the strings and so is particular to this tune.

If you are asking for comments, don't get downhearted though because you are a lot of the way there.

1/ You cannot play slide on light strings, as the slide is pretending to be a fret use need a lot of mass both in the strings and the slide. I use 13's and a brass slide.
And yes it hurts, and yes at times they feel like fence wire...but that is the deal.

2/ Your thumb is moving into the melody, and I would you suggest that you tune to D tuning, bang on the lowest string with your thumb pic until your picking fingers realise that they are free.
Then opposite the single string thumb bang , slide on the thinnest string .
Otherwise you are going to try and play straight guitar (as per your tune) in another tuning.
I'm not being harsh but there is no shortcuts to this, sorry.

(Nb the pain is that once you master the thumb bang with the thin string slide slide , it will dawn on you that slide and straight guitar are exactly the same..but as Lummo X says, that happens about practice session 4,946.)

3/ Do not buy a beater guitar, as this will make playing slide really difficult as a lot of slide is fretting and an innacurate guitar will put your playing back the way.

Have fun, but it is about practice on heavy strings. :cry:

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:48 am

Dog, crazy that you mentioned that thumb thing. Tonight was the first night I realized what you are saying. That my thumb and fingers are moving in unison. If that's what you meant. Tonight I started playing a bass line and using my fingers to pick notes. It was amazing. I wish there was more info on how to practice this. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not really sure how to practice. Perhaps I'll give your little idea a try. I do use mostly open D if that's what you meant, not dropped D tuning.

So the light strings might be a problem eh? Are mediums ok?

I take no offense whatsoever to advice. You guys have been playing slide and blues years more than I. As for the beater guitars. I'd never buy one. My parents bought me a Kent when I was 5. I played it for 5 minutes and threw it in the closet. Had they bought me something decent, maybe I could play the blues by now :lol: as I might have stuck with it.

These are the two guitars I have. I'm just not sure which one to slap a high saddle on. I made a high saddle for the Nick Lucas, but it sounded more muted and not as bright with the strings higher. However they are light strings. I'll switch to mediums.

Caub, I played electric guitar off and on years ago. However the last 10 years have been playing clawhammer banjo. I picked up the acoustic a couple months ago as I think I mentioned and started out with the Carter style music. I can't stand folk singer songwriter stuff. They are all a bunch of clones as far as I'm concerned. Bluegrass is the same. That's why I like blues and old tyme music. It is in itself repetitive, but there are fewer people who delve into these realms of music.

I started listening to the Blues channel on Sirrius Satellite. Wife has it in her Jeep. I heard one cool slide tune and that was it. I have no idea who it was and I hate 95% of the music they play, but once in a while I'll hear a nice blues tune I love.

James

jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:35 pm

[quote="jamesfarrell"]>>>>>Tonight was the first night I realized what you are saying. That my thumb and fingers are moving in unison. If that's what you meant.

yip, I did.

>.Tonight I started playing a bass line and using my fingers to pick notes. It was amazing. I wish there was more info on how to practice this. <<

Just practice it , that is all :lol:

>>.So the light strings might be a problem eh? Are mediums ok?

No, light strings on a "might be a problem" is not right, "light strings are a problem" is right.

>>.These are the two guitars I have. I'm just not sure which one to slap a high saddle on. <<

Yip, 13s may lift the action, if not do the shim.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Is there anyway to measure action? I have no idea whatsoever is considered high and low? Don't you measure from the 12th fret or fingerboard to the bottom of the 6th string.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:45 pm

From the top of the 12th fret to the bottoms of the strings is how I do it. And yeah, I guess I'm using the sixth string as the main reference, but the strings do vary in height across the board.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:54 am

Can anybody throw out a measurement?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby whitewolfofsc » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:59 am

I use a brass slide that is kind of heavy, as well as chrome ones. I have a commercially made short chrome slide, and my all time favorite is an 11/16 chrome socket. It fits slightly snug on my finger, so it stays on during performances and recordings. I have unlimited access to bamboo, and a few people have experimented with bamboo slides for a specialty, low sustain sound. I am not crazy about that sound, but I keep a bamboo slide around just in case a weird mood hits me. I think Shane Speal plays a cigar box guitar eith a bamboo slide sometimes.
whitewolfofsc
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar