my sucky slide technique

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:04 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:I think the biggest thing I've missed so far is that the slide is an embelleshment to the tune and doesn't have to be used constantly. My breakthrough was like "shitt" I can use regular notes in between the slide "DUH"
Hey, congratulations for figuring that out so quickly! Some folks have a hard time realizing it.
:D
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 pm

allanlummox wrote:I haven't tried these but they look good:

http://www.marksguitarshop.com/trs/

There was a thread on the rock slide not too long ago. Personally, I think they work better for electric slide, as I believe is the intent, and the only one designed for a pinky is very short. ===> http://www.bigroadblues.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm

I didn't see anything wrong wrong with your playing or your technique. Like one comment said if you want a cleaner sound dampen the strings behind your slide. I play most of my slide on electric and I like the "dirt" sometimes. My personal preference is brass slides on flattops and thick glass on electric. Good video and good pickin'

By the way what kind of guitar was that you were playing on???
stratman_27
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm

I feel a relapse of pedantry coming on...

Don't dampen your strings. That only makes 'em rust faster. Instead, damp them. That quietens the unwanted vibrations.

Whew, I think it's starting to ease off now...
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:03 pm

You know Ricochet, what's funny is I started out using the term 'damp', and then started over-thinking it, going back and forth between damp and dampen, and finally settling on dampen. Oh well, I think he got the point.

The truth is dampen doesn't always mean to make something moist. It can also mean .....

3. dampen - deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
damp, mute, tone down, muffle, dull
soften - make (images or sounds) soft or softer

4. dampen - reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)

So I think it still works, even though damp is more commonly used. ;)
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:11 pm

See where pedantry gets you?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:17 pm

allanlummox wrote:See where pedantry gets you?

My pedantic self is laughing out loud Alan!
bluzeluvr
Regular

Nice..

Postby slickcat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 pm

You got the alternating bass thing going better than me....all you need is to mute the strings a little. You can do it by resting the heal of your right hand on the strings or your finger behind the slide. A lite touch is all thats needed to keep it from buzzing. Heavy strings will raise the action in most cases and will keep your slide from hitting the frets. I like a heavy brass slide...but also use ceramic and glass. Its more of a personal feel...taste thing. Slide looks easier than it really is, so practice trying to slide into a note without going sharp or flat. It takes a while....also a good vibrato will hide many missed outta tune notes and make them sound pretty good. Slide is a "FEEL" thing...close your eyes try to feel the slide ...make it smooth, wavering. Your at the best place on the internet for learning Bottleneck Blues guitar...so hang out with us we are all learning everyday. :wink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:27 pm

That dictionary's wrong. They're just acknowledging the increasingly common misuse of the word. Just like the incorrect "you and I" stuff we hear all the time (where "you and me" would be proper) that got started from sappy love song rhymes on the radio. (The quick and dirty test of which one is proper is to take the other person out of the sentence. Which would sound stupid, "I" or "me?" Use the other one.)

To dampen is to make something damp.
:D
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Doggone it - I've got most of my books packed into boxes now. I have no idea which one has Benade's book on acoustics in it.

Whichever he uses is the right one. Ric, is your copy handy?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 pm

I lent my copy out about 3 years ago and haven't gotten it back. I can tell you he uses "damp," though. As would any physicist who's not talking about moistening something.
ricochet
Regular

Re: Nice..

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:08 am

slickcat wrote:You got the alternating bass thing going better than me....all you need is to mute the strings a little. You can do it by resting the heal of your right hand on the strings or your finger behind the slide. A lite touch is all thats needed to keep it from buzzing. Heavy strings will raise the action in most cases and will keep your slide from hitting the frets. I like a heavy brass slide...but also use ceramic and glass. Its more of a personal feel...taste thing. Slide looks easier than it really is, so practice trying to slide into a note without going sharp or flat. It takes a while....also a good vibrato will hide many missed outta tune notes and make them sound pretty good. Slide is a "FEEL" thing...close your eyes try to feel the slide ...make it smooth, wavering. Your at the best place on the internet for learning Bottleneck Blues guitar...so hang out with us we are all learning everyday. :wink:

Thanks chief. Makes some sense and I used a lot of what you said and some new doors opened kind of. I made another bone bridge tonight, a little higher and it works good. I think the brass slides sound less noisy, maybe it's just me. It seems to sound good until I record myself. Of course a DV cam mic doesn't do much good.

Overall, I'm happy with my progress. I'm like 20% better than last night :lol: If it weren't for my *****ng job interfering with my practice :x

Guys, any cd's you could recommend. Ima hit up the local borders. Don't know that they'll have anything good, but until I place an order online for some good stuff, I'll see if they have anything to satisfy my fix for now.

I don't know, am I a bit out of control here or what? My wife thinks I've gone SRM (stark raving mad). I just love music and this blues / slide stuff is a whole another realm. I just never really gave blues a chance for some odd reason. I guess I always heard the wrong stuff. As I said the overproduced crap with 87 instruments does nothing for me. It's like all the bands doing Carter tributes with 837 musicians onstage playing will the circle be unbroken, not only butchering the content of the song, but making it sound like garbage. Hate when they do that. HO HO HO, let's all sing along :lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:37 am

Look at the surface finish of your slide. Some are a lot smoother than others, and they'll make correspondingly less of that scratchy noise on the strings. It's not always a bad thing, but it's another variable.

One thing I especially like about my Craftsman socket is its very slick hard chrome finish. Not as scratchy as my smooth brass slide. And it's way less scratchy than my bronze bushing from Tractor Supply, which I had to smooth with 0000 steel wool. Some glass bottlenecks are quite smooth, others surprisingly rough textured. I've got one slide, an extruded aluminum BigHeart slide, that's so scratchy that I regard it as unusable. I despise that heart cross section shape, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 am

A little jewelers rouge will do wonders with a brass slide, too.

I have a few of those heart shaped slides, and while I get it, I've never really used them much.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I have small fingers and also have trouble getting a good fitting slide. I tried a few, but selction in my rural Canadian town is not great. I also like to build/make things, so I applied myself to this problem. Making a bottleneck isn't too difficult and there are lots of instructions posted on the net. We go through enough wine bottles at our house to make it easy to find the right fit and thikness. But be careful - it is glass!!

An easier project is to go down to your local hardware or plumbing store or scrap yard and buy soem brass pipe nipples, 3" to 4" long excluding the threads. This is so cheap you can buy several different diameters. Try a 1/2 or 3/4 brass pipe if you have small hands, or a 3/4 or 1" if large. (Another trick I use is to 'customize' any size using self -adhesive foam window/draft sealer) Take it home, place in a clamp and cut to desired length with a hack saw. Brass cuts like butter and is very easy to sand the burred edges smooth.

Good luck!
Mississippi John
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar