Help a noob with this slide stuff.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 am

Well, if you come up or down the AT again, the US 421 crossing atop Holston Mountain is 17 miles from where I'm sitting, by my old bicycle computer. Holler.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:10 am

Hey - that's the last road crossing before the AT gets to Damascus, Virginia. A really lovely area, and the people all through there were very friendly to "Hiker Trash".

(Damascus is generally considered the friendliest town that the trail passes through - it's also the first town along the trail that's not in a dry county. Dots is the local watering hole, and the outfitter there is great; I replaced my cheapo frame pack there with an Osprey pack I still use on backpacking trips nowadays.)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:14 am

Yep. Damascus is right up the road.

I preached a funeral there once, believe it or not.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:23 am

Easy to believe.

The trail registers are full of references to the "road to Damascus", too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mississippi John » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:26 am

<I've seen a few blues bands up here, they suck. I don't like the overproduced BS. I like old school raw blues with guitar, singer, hamonica. >

Check out Chris Smither in Boston area. He isn't a slide player, but a fantastic finger-style player with a great voice. I discovered him at a folk festival about 15 years ago and haven't listened to folk music since!!! He was the player that opened my mind to acoustic, country blues.

[/quote]
Mississippi John
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar