Help a noob with this slide stuff.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Help a noob with this slide stuff.

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Noob to slide and blues. I'm tryin hard with the slide, but I seem to be missing the rythm part. Are there any online lessons you could recommend? Or DVD's?

I tend to not like a lot of the new stuff, however I'm not familiar enough with slide guitarists. I don't want to waste my money on garbage. I'm struggling with how to get the proper rythm going in between the sliding.

I started out with acoustic a couple months ago and I've pretty much mastered the Carter Family Music and Maybelles rythm style. Not that that is such a great feat, but for me it is because I'm not acustomed to using finger and thumb picks. I love that style of music however and I saw some vids of furry lewis on youtube. I like that style as well, although he's a bit rough.

I'm using open G and D tunings and I can't seem to do as much in G as I can with D. I don't really know where to go with the rythm stuff. The sliding I find relatively easy for now, but it's incorporating rythm into it that is the tough part. I've seen the lessons on here and they didn't seem to help out much.

I like stuff that has alternating type bass in between the slide music, but like I said, I don't even know where to begin as far as what music to buy and instructional stuff. Any help is appreciated.

James.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:54 am

My big recommendation would be to listen to the classic recordings - Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Mississipi Fred McDowell, Son House, Tampa Red, and man, there's more, and I know these names appear all OVER this site, so I'm not even going to worry about all the greats I'm leaving out.

The more you listen to them, the more the rhythm and the musical intent of the music will seep in.

Heck, I'll list a few more - there's Booker White, Johnny Shines, and if I list them I have to mention Muddy Waters.

I don't think you'd even get through really LISTENING to those cats, much less "Master" the playing style, in a few months. It's been the passion of many years, and I'm only scratching the surface of the possibilities of the style.

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:16 am

allanlummox wrote:I don't think you'd even get through really LISTENING to those cats, much less "Master" the playing style, in a few months. It's been the passion of many years, and I'm only scratching the surface of the possibilities of the style.

Lummo's right.
If it's tuition materials you're after, you could do much worse than check out Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop: http://www.guitarvideos.com/
stumblin
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:17 am

And if it's beginner lessons that you're after, you can't get a better introduction than the slide lessons contained on this very website. http://bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:09 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:And if it's beginner lessons that you're after, you can't get a better introduction than the slide lessons contained on this very website. http://bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html

To be fair, he did say he'd looked at them.

Listen to Stumblin': ("Lummo's right")
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks Guys
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Listen to Rustyslide: "Listen to Stumblin': ("Lummo's right")"
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby LoneWolf » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Listen to Roll And Tumble Blues by Hambone Willie Newbern
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:05 pm

Listen to Lummo: "Listen to Rustyslide: "Listen to Stumblin': ("Lummo's right")""
stumblin
Regular

Postby LoneWolf » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:06 pm

Listen to My Black Mama by Son House
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:24 pm

Listen to Stumblin'
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Man, now I'm thinking about when I was a "N00b" to the Blues - I had no such resource as this, and people who knew much about the Blues were thin on the ground. I'd walk in to a record store and go to the Blues bin, and just look at the covers for records that looked right.

Lightnin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker were impossible to miss - they defined the Look as well as they did the sound. But I wound up cleaning out the section at the little local used record store, anyway. Over a few years, I grabbed everything I could; Sleepy John Estes, and Henry Johnson, the Union County Flash. Snooks Eaglin , Eddie Kirkland, Sonny and Brownie, all picked up on spec, without knowing if they might be "Garbage".

I was unaware of any Blues journals; I just got what was there. The Yazoo Records compilations, like "15 years in the Mississippi Delta"; that turned me on to Skip James; I had no idea what anyone else thought of Skip, but he sure altered MY world forever.

Johnny Winter was a shock; he LOOKED like 70's hard rock - well, he looked even scarier than that - but he sure could deliver the goods.

Eventually, I discovered books; Paul Oliver was too paternalistic for my taste, but Julio Finn was just as bad in the other direction. Lomax' love for the music and the people who made it made up for any shortcomings.

It took me years to even figure out what kind of guitars were good for the Blues I wanted to play; I had a Martin D-18 that would have been great for a Country singer, but just died as you went up the neck.

Made it up as I went along, and figured that the guys on the records were doing the same thing. Listening to each other, giving pointers maybe, but no one was spoonfeeding anyone. I sense the same fanaticism from a lot of the folks on this board; some I've known for a few years, some "N00bs", too.

I just hated the "Blues Brothers" movie when it came out - it felt like Hollywood had discovered my secret place, and set up lights and cameras right in my way.

But this music has been a source of amazing surprises and joys straight through; the first time I heard Olu Dara, I had the same thrill that I got when I "Discovered" Elmore James. And I just about went nuts when I found Bahamian guitarist Joseph Spence a couple of years ago. When I lived in London, Ali Farka Toure's first album had just hit the bins. Wow!

Man, I'm stressed and I haven't gotten enough sleep and the world is shifting underfoot and I'd better go take a nap - but I'm going to pick up my ancient Gibson and play instead.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:30 pm

allanlummox wrote:Man, now I'm thinking about when I was a "N00b" to the Blues - I had no such resource as this, and people who knew much about the Blues were thin on the ground. I'd walk in to a record store and go to the Blues bin, and just look at the covers for records that looked right.

Y'know, I miss doing that. Now that I'm aware of all the major artists (as well as many of the minor and just plan damn obscure artists) it's harer ansd harder to get that thrill of discovery. Liek realising that the song that you've been listneing to for three days straight is by Tampa Red, or knwing that you lke a guys music but you wouldn't have a clue who this "Willie McTell" character is, or discovering that the instrumental you love to death is considered by the harp blowers to be the pinnacle of their art... That thrill of discovering the music. Made me feel good.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:24 pm

I wish I had discovered the blues back when. But I'm 35 and I still got time. The problem is when I get into a particular type of music, is spending money on garbage. That really pissses me off. So thanks for the suggestions.

I wish there was more around here for blues. Massachusetts stinks. It's all about work up here. Nobody plays instruments anymore and nobody could give two shits about anyone that plays either.

I've seen a few blues bands up here, they suck. I don't like the overproduced BS. I like old school raw blues with guitar, singer, hamonica. Not this modern stuff with 18 instruments. I really like the swamp style blues I guess, if that's what harmonica, guitar and vocal is called. There's quite a bit on yotube for vids as well, which is very cool. Thanks for the help cats.

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:47 pm

Massachusetts isn't the worst place. Although I was once asked to leave a bar in Great Barrington for using the word "Tittie".

There was a line of Harleys outside the bar, too. I guess they just don't like Hiker Trash - we had just gotten off the Appalachian Trail and were a bit sunburned and goofy.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Guitar