Uke fever!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby songdog » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:50 am

Have you seen this guy play?

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/159572/
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wwpete52 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:15 pm

The Johnson resophonic uke arrived yesterday. Wow! talk about fun! What a great little instrument. It is very well made. The only thing that looks cheap are the tuning pegs. That's no big deal. They do seem to stay in tune. I am going to replace them. Other than that it's great! I can't understand why someone would spend a $1000 more for a National. This little thing rocks! $225 with a case and free shipping. What a deal.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Sounds like great fun!

What kind of strings does it use? Regular nylon uke strings?
ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Yes, it uses regular ukulele strings. National Resphonic use to have wound strings but they dropped them. They can still be purchased by the maker Guadalupe Strings in LA, Ca under their name. Their number for them is US-2. They cost $10 a set. National is now using Hilo Black High Tension Concert Strings on their ukes. Aguila is also suppose to be a great brand of strings. I'm going to experiment a bit with the strings.
For anyone wanting the Guadalupe wound strings their phone number is 1-323-981-7055. They do take credit cards over the phone.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Glad you like it. I think they are the best reso ukes I've played. I would agree that the tuning pegs are cheap, but thats not a big deal. How does the headstock look to you? Some people say they look cheap. Hope you enjoy it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:39 pm

I love the head stock (but I'm a pearloid freak!).
wwpete52
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:54 pm

If you turn your uke upside down so that the cone is facing towards the floor and then turn it right side up so that it is facing the ceiling, does the cone move? Just curious because on two of them that I played, the cone moved. Didnt know if it was normal.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:56 pm

No, there's absolutely no movement at all in the cone when doing that. I even shook it. I don't see how the cone could move with string pressure holding it down.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:16 am

Could the tailpieces have been bent up so the strings didn't have enough break angle to make downforce on the cone?
ricochet
Regular

Postby whitewolfofsc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:41 pm

I have a baritone uke. The extra size on it makes it better to play, in my humble opinion. It is less of a "jumping flea" and more of a "junior guitar". I tried changing the two nylon strings with thin metal ones, but the intonation was haywire on it, so I went back to the original stringing, which is two wirewound strings at the bottom, and two nylons at the top. I drop tuned it to open G, and play it witn my slide most of the time. A hawaiian slide technique on a hawaiian instrument... who'dve thunk it??! :)
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:54 pm

The baritone uke is cool. One thing to consider, however, is that the baritone is tuned like a guitar. It's like a tenor guitar in that sense. In a way it kind of defeats the purpose of playing a uke. If a player wants to try the ukulele (as an instrument) then it would be best to try one in it's classic "C" tuning (soprano, concert, or tenor uke). Having said all of that I think the baritone is cool. When I was a kid there was a guy on tv that made the baritone uke famous. His name was Arthur Godfrey. Do any of you guys remember him?
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:05 pm

I remember Arthur Godfrey. In fact, I was listening to him on the radio before I can remember. I've been told that when I was a baby I'd stop what I was doing, turn and listen to him when he came on.
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar