Blind Blake ? General Blues help, questions

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Blind Blake ? General Blues help, questions

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:13 am

Anybody play this type of stuff? I got the DVD and it's driving me mad. I need to start out with some simpler blues. I just can't grasp the F chord stuff.

Now this stinks for me caus when I want to play something, I get obsessed, but I have only been playing acoustic for about 2 months. It's driving me nuts. Not to toot my horn too much, but I've started out with the Carter style country stuff and have mastered it quite quickly.

Blues however is going to be a challenge and a 1/2 I can tell. I don't really listen to blues, which is 3/4 of my problem. I watched some slide guitar on yotube.com and I've been bitten by the blues bug. Blues is the shit.

Where do you suggest I begin? I like this Blind Blake style and the alternating bass country blues type of stuff I guess you call it. Any ideas are appreciated. The DVD I have is way advanced for me.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby LoneWolf » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 am

Blind Blake played some tough things, why don't you start with easier stuff like a lot of Lightnin' Hopkins songs? he was one of my first inspirations to play country blues and he remaines one of my all time favorite musicians. Try also to learn from Brownie McGhee and Li'l Son Jackson.
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:50 pm

Watched some vids of him on yotube. That cat kicks ass. Where do you guys find a lot of this music? Are there tabs out there I don't know about or do you figga stuff out by ear? I do a little bit of both, but I'm just gettin into blues. Any help is appreciated.

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby LoneWolf » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:53 pm

Blues and tabs DON'T go together AT ALL! If you want to find music that you'll like I recommend http://www.pandora.com
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby nizer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:45 pm

If you want to take on Blind Blake you're gonna have to get the finger-picking style down. If you have already learned the Carter Family alternating-bass style that's a good start. Listen to some Mississippi John Hurt. He has a good techique and his songs are pretty easy to learn.

As far as DVDs, tabs, etc., I've used them, but the best stuff I ever learned was from other players. Try and find some.
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:27 pm

I know Lummo suggested this before, but if you want to play blues you're going to have to listen to blues. Tabs won't help a bit if you're not familiar with the sound of the arrangement being tabbed.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Blind_Blake » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:17 am

Hello.
I think Blind Blake style is one of the most difficult prewar blues styles. A lot of "thumb work" and hard fingerstyle...
I started with Mississippi John H style and some Pink Anderson and Rev.Gary Davis stuff....
In my opinion, Blind Blake is the best so you have to be patience with yourself.

(Sorry for my spelling)
Blind_Blake
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 am

Good luck!
stumblin
Regular

Postby LoneWolf » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:56 am

But Blake recorded some easy stuff too, I think that Police Dog blues is pretty easy. but Blind Arthur's Brakedown is impossible!
LoneWolf
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:15 pm

You know, I always thought Golf looked like a dull game. I don't know anything about it, and I don't want to buy good clubs.

Can you give me any pointers so people will think I'm a good Golfer?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar