Gibson reissued?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson reissued?

Postby podunk_phill » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:41 am

I'm seeing some Gibson reissued on Ebay coming from China. Does anyone know aything about these?
Thanks in advance
Phill
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:16 pm

I saw them too and got real excited, thinking maybe these would be the next , better than gibson, "tokai" type copies. On another forum, a guitar tech had 2 brought in for set up. He said one needed the frets worked on, and the other ones neck was real bad. When plugged in, the sound was terrible, and the control pots as cheap as can be. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. What I did buy was a MIK Tokai copy of a 52 tele. I already own a MIK Tokai E 60 (copy of 335), and it is better than the reissue gibsons. It should be here June 16th. Here is a link to the shop I bought it at. It has a 5 star reputation. Walter

http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby telemonkey » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Walter; Let us all know what you think of that tele copy when you get it. I hope it proves to be lots o' fun and a tone monster for you!
I hope to hear it on your Soundclick page (which I listen to time to time and enjoy very much)

Now..my only comment and don't take it in anyway personel (like I said I hope that little tele screams for you),
...how can Tokai remotely call that guitar, which again, may be a fine instrument for all I know, a 1952 tele copy?
52 teles had maple necks and fingerboards (actually one piece necks), not rosewood and three saddle bridges with ashtray rails (not Six saddle flat ones like the Tokai), and the pickguard is even wrong. Oh yeah, and a 10 inch neck radius on the Tokai verses a 7.25" on the real deal. At least it's a string thru body.
I mean it may be a fine tele copy, but it ain't a copy of a '52.

Heh-heh, I'm just a picky tele-phile.
telemonkey
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 am

opps
Last edited by watertore on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 am

watertore wrote:
telemonkey wrote:Walter; Let us all know what you think of that tele copy when you get it. I hope it proves to be lots o' fun and a tone monster for you!
I hope to hear it on your Soundclick page (which I listen to time to time and enjoy very much)

Now..my only comment and don't take it in anyway personel (like I said I hope that little tele screams for you),
...how can Tokai remotely call that guitar, which again, may be a fine instrument for all I know, a 1952 tele copy?
52 teles had maple necks and fingerboards (actually one piece necks), not rosewood and three saddle bridges with ashtray rails (not Six saddle flat ones like the Tokai), and the pickguard is even wrong. Oh yeah, and a 10 inch neck radius on the Tokai verses a 7.25" on the real deal. At least it's a string thru body.
I mean it may be a fine tele copy, but it ain't a copy of a '52.

Heh-heh, I'm just a picky tele-phile.

Thanks for the compliment telemonkey! I am ignorant to all the gear end of it. Heck, these guys are Korean and maybe they got their years mixed up :) Iwas going to buy one of those imatation gibsons. That tells you how much I know about gear. To me it will sound good, play good, or not. I will definetly post some songs with it.

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:45 am

I imagine that it's the Canadian reseller calling them '52 copies.

Also, Tokai is a Japanese company, not Korean, with their mid-highend models being made in Japan. The '60' in ES-60 is the suggested retail price in thousands of yen (ie, 60,000¥, or $533US). Fender Japan numbers their models the same way.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Yeah, Tokai's a Japanese company. Their "Love Rocks" are Korean made.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar