Robert Pete Williams "Louise" - tuning?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Robert Pete Williams "Louise" - tuning?

Postby benkree » Wed May 31, 2006 11:02 am

I'm trying to work out Robert Pete Williams' wonderful version of the song "Louise" on "I'm Blue As a Man Can Be". I think the 6th string is tuned down 2 steps (i.e. to C), but I can't work out the rest of the tuning: is it Open C, or Drop C, or everything down 2 steps, or what? Thanks! - Ben
benkree
Regular

Postby benkree » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:32 am

To answer my own question: apparently it's everything down 2 steps, at least according to a review of this disc by a Mr. John Miller...

"Louise, as played by Robert Pete, and he recorded it many times, must stand as one of the greatest covers ever. It has come a long way from Johnny Temple's version, and it is really spooky. Robert Pete plays it in B minor, tuned two whole steps low, and the sound of his guitar is quite eerie--it is barely recognizable as a guitar and sounds more like some kind of mysterious African instrument."

SEE: http://weeniecampbell.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=74&topic=1490.new
benkree
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:27 am

Well there you go. Glad we could help :wink: :lol: :roll:
Really, RPW's playing can be so weird at times, it could be a nightmare trying to work out some of that heavy voodoo stuff.

PS. I'm really missing the little "clown smiley".
stumblin
Regular

Postby benkree » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:44 am

> it could be a nightmare trying to work out some of that heavy voodoo stuff

Yeah, even with the aid of AmazingSlowDowner and GuitarPro it's turning out to be er slightly more tricky than I'd envisaged.

Still, it's fun trying.
benkree
Regular

Return to Guitar