Ihave been converted to these new cheapo copy guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby watertore » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:19 pm

rustyslide wrote:I'm really tempted to order one of those ES-60s. Stupid GAS :D

you will not be disapointed. My main guitar, for 20 years, has been a 1963 fender jazzmaster. This was given to me in austin, by john reed, because the guitar I brought into town was a big, no name, hollowbody, that fed back like mad if you turned up it a bit. John got it from SRV, who got it from lonnie mack, when they made his album together. Lonnie used it in the mid 60's and even sent me a photo of him with it, complete with greased hair, clean shaven, and tux on. I also own a 1940 national, and some other vintage guitars. Since I got the tokai 1-1/2 years ago, I haven't touched the jazzmaster. I took it out last weekend and played. When I got home, it went back in the closet. My tokai is bone stock. Walter

here is mine

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gcd revue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:29 pm

Hmmm...if PappyJ could get those...I'd have already ordered one. Whaddaya say, Pappy? By the way, Walter, how much did that end up setting you back? Been looking for another semi-hollow since I started playing again, and continuously kicking myself for selling the Yamaha SA-2100 I had, along with all my other gear. (Had a BAD case of the F**KITS at the time -- made up my mind I never wanted to SEE another guitar again. Turned out "never" was about 5 years.) Let me know!
gcd revue
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:36 am

I don't think there's anyway he can stock them in the US. Gibson would have at him PDQ.

watertore wrote:
rustyslide wrote:I'm really tempted to order one of those ES-60s. Stupid GAS :D

you will not be disapointed.

Oh, I'm quite positive they're wonderful, it's convincing myself it's suitably different than my Les Paul that's the trick
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby watertore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:13 am

gcd revue wrote:Hmmm...if PappyJ could get those...I'd have already ordered one. Whaddaya say, Pappy? By the way, Walter, how much did that end up setting you back? Been looking for another semi-hollow since I started playing again, and continuously kicking myself for selling the Yamaha SA-2100 I had, along with all my other gear. (Had a BAD case of the F**KITS at the time -- made up my mind I never wanted to SEE another guitar again. Turned out "never" was about 5 years.) Let me know!

gcd: The tele is $434 delivered, and the red ES 60 was $400 used. My friend bought it new, used it a couple of times and I got it. I can't say enough at how good the ES 60 plays, and sounds.

Rustyslice: That is right. Tokai has been banned from selling new guitars in the usa. Mine is coming via canada. You are already there! They definetly sound different than a les paul.
Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:15 pm

Now isn't that the law suit over their Les Paul copy having a head stock identical to a Les Paul? I heard there are a few of those out there and if you get your hands on one they are worth bucks.

As far as cheap import guitars go, I couldn't agree more Walter. I love them. My Gibson spends it's time in the case. I have a stable of low end guitars that I use the most and since I bought my Agile Les Paul copy it is just about the only one I play. (Goldtop with P 90's :wink: )
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:51 pm

watertore wrote:I remember getting so exicted when Albert collins, and roy buchanan would let me mess around with their rigs. I was ready to sound just like them. Dead wrong. I sounded like old walter. To this day, no matter what I play, unless it is a heavymetal distorted to heck. I sound pretty much the same. I guess I am stuck with me :P
Well, being stuck with you's not a bad thing, Walter!

Last night my son and I were talking about folks thinking they can buy gear that will give them "the tone." He said it was like someone thinking that if he just got the right paints, he could make a wonderful painting...
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:21 pm

good analogy :wink:
nizer
Regular

Postby trguitar » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:52 am

I heard of a prison inmate who painted a mural on his cell wall with his own feces. I'm told it was impressive.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:08 am

It's all in the fingers.
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:46 am

ricochet wrote:
watertore wrote:I remember getting so exicted when Albert collins, and roy buchanan would let me mess around with their rigs. I was ready to sound just like them. Dead wrong. I sounded like old walter. To this day, no matter what I play, unless it is a heavymetal distorted to heck. I sound pretty much the same. I guess I am stuck with me :P
Well, being stuck with you's not a bad thing, Walter!

Last night my son and I were talking about folks thinking they can buy gear that will give them "the tone." He said it was like someone thinking that if he just got the right paints, he could make a wonderful painting...

Yeah! Your son has the right idea! I remember playng harp with Johnny B Good (deceased). He played a made in somewhere, you never heard of, strat copy, through a old airline amp, which was about 5 watts. He played that thing everynight with tone most would die for. Johnny started out with elmore james down in Miss, and I caught him in his 70's, playing the deluxe inn, in okland. He had a weekly gig there and I was on permenant invite. I wish I had a scanner. I have alot of shots from those gigs. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:32 pm

I picked up a Squire made in Indonesia last week and a Rickenbaker copy this week, both for 150 apiece. The strat is great and the Rik copy is amazing. I like the tone of both very much. It amazes me sometimes what some of these companies can do. They're really just different tones for the toolbox..... I seem to keep a bad case of rampant G.A.S...!!!!

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby bek1 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Love this thread. Walter, this probably doesn't compare to your pictures, but this was my earliest encounter with the real blues: Image A real treasured memory is my meeting with Fred McDowell (also using an extremely cheapo Western Auto amp -- "It's little, y'all, but it's loud"): Image
bek1
Regular

Postby savage » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:56 am

In order to replace my squire strat I almost bought myself an old squire strat by Fender Japan (back when they were well-made) about 3 months ago.

....But........
I got lucky again and came across a standard fender stratocaster for $450. I never really expected to be able to afford one on my current income, but the guy who was sellin it was the owners bandmate who apparently needed money fast, so..... :twisted: The thing came set up very nicely with some new tremolo springs and some pretty sleek action. I couldnt help but expect somethin was wrong with it... but i plugged it in and it put a smile on my face :) The next time I went to sam ash I let the guys as sam ash know how much I paid for it. The ones they got hangin in the store still got a $1500 price tag on em. For the past 2 months I've been able to get the sounds that i always tried to get outa my squire with much more ease.

came with a hardshell case too!
savage
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Aren't standard strats MIM? Or am I just confused? Cuz $450 for a MIM strat is not a good deal, especially if it's used.

I think I am confused.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:26 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Aren't standard strats MIM? Or am I just confused? Cuz $450 for a MIM strat is not a good deal, especially if it's used.

I think I am confused.

He might have meant "American Standard", which are MIA (seeing as how he describes the 'new' ones as being $1500. As for Asian knockoffs, I love my MIJ Strat:

Think I'm going to skip the Tokai for now; I'll get one someday, but my Les Paul is such a wonderful sounding and playing instrument that I really can't justify spending the money (that would be better used on new hard drives for my computer) on an only slightly different sounding guitar.

This is also helped along by the fact that JSD is out of stock of 'em.
rustyslide
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar