Ebonex capped bridges

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Ebonex capped bridges

Postby bignick » Fri May 26, 2006 1:22 pm

I have been busy screwing around and screwing up my Johnson Delta Blues and I have some things to report to you that you may find interesting.

I don't know if any of you have had heard of Ebonex capped saddles, but you can buy them at http://www.harper-resophonics.com. Tim Scheerhorn uses them in his resos now and they are popular on reso-nation. A friend of mine gave me a blank to experiment with. It is basically the stuff they make computer boards out of.

Pros: Very durable but hard to cut. Very resistant to string-wear.

Sound: Interesting tone. It will amplify the sound qualitys of your cone (whatever they are). It will make a good-contemporary cone like a Beard BC-1 or Quarterman QC-1 sound better, but it will make a crappy cone sound WORSE. It made me realize how much I disliked my Continental Cone and I ordered a Quarterman.

It will definitely add a lot of punch to your reso and it is worth the $25 cost because it won't wear-out like ebony/maple saddles. If you are into a more traditional Pre-war sound, these probably aren't for you. Although I would like to hear the way they sound in a Steel bodied biscuit guitar for comparison.
bignick
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri May 26, 2006 2:28 pm

Interesting. Sounds like it has similar effects as the carbon-fiber biscuit that I put on my reso a little while ago. Sounds like the cap is some kind of fiberglass? Sounds painful to work with.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby wwpete52 » Fri May 26, 2006 5:57 pm

How do you like your Johnson Delta Blues? I really like the way they look (matte finish/12 fret neck).
wwpete52
Regular

Postby crowduck » Fri May 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Ebonex is actually paper phenolic, there really isn't a proper product with the name "Ebonex". Nicks right about the computer boards. I've read it's made using heat and pressure which causes polymerzation(sp), which does something to the molecules................I'm not a scientist, just curious.

Interesting, that site also has saddles capped with Corian, and something named "Duratone". Corian is marble dust and acrylic, and can be found as countertops and cutting boards. I'm curious about "Duratone", but don't have any idea what it's made of, maybe another 'coined name' like "Ebonex".

I only saw saddles for spider bridge on that site.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:53 pm

I know! Duratone is the same stuff the space shuttle is made of: PLASTIC! (actually I have no idea what it is) :lol:
wwpete52
Regular

Postby bignick » Sat May 27, 2006 3:45 am

The Delta Blues is a nice guitar. The nut broke in half after one solid whack to remove it, and the Spider is kind of cheap, but not a bad guitar in the long run.

It is a great sounding guitar if you put about $100 dollars into it. It could perform like a higher-level guitar with a good setup.

Definitely worth $300. Johnson's quality control has really increased since the introduction of Beard and Wechter's mid-range guitars.

The Continental Cone isn't bad to start out with either.
bignick
Regular

Postby bendaway » Sat May 27, 2006 12:20 pm

crowduck wrote:I only saw saddles for spider bridge on that site.
Harper only makes square neck/spider cone "dobro" instruments.

https://store.harper-resophonics.com/images/bridges.jpg
bendaway
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:29 pm

bignick wrote:The Delta Blues is a nice guitar. The nut broke in half after one solid whack to remove it, and the Spider is kind of cheap, but not a bad guitar in the long run.

It is a great sounding guitar if you put about $100 dollars into it. It could perform like a higher-level guitar with a good setup.

Definitely worth $300. Johnson's quality control has really increased since the introduction of Beard and Wechter's mid-range guitars.

The Continental Cone isn't bad to start out with either.

I like the fact that it doesn't have a gloss finish. It has kind of a vintage look. By "put about $100 into it" do you mean things like bone nut, new cone/spider, and bridge insert? I wonder how better the Quarterman cone is compared to the Continental cone?
I also think it would look cool with a set of vintage looking Waverly style open geared tuners.
I hear that the wood bodied Beard Gold Tone resonators are very good but they are just too pretty. I kind of like that old down and dirty look of the Johnson Delta Blues.
wwpete52
Regular

Return to Guitar