What kind of strings do you guys use?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Postby fat paul » Mon May 29, 2006 5:29 am

Walter. amen about Red. When I played with him he played a strat. an old kay and my lead guitar players 1968 gibson les paul. He kicked butt with all three.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby orb mellon » Mon May 29, 2006 12:33 pm

I'm surprised none of y'all mention John Pearse strings on acoustics. I use them myself, not because they are better than D'Addarios, which I think are generally excellent and very consistent, but because they make all sorts of oddball guages and sets.

Myself, I use 80/20 medium (13-17-26-35-45-56) on my 000-15s, an 80/20 "New Medium" (13-17-24-32-42-55) on my ladder braced Cromwell and a Spanish resonator set phosphor (13-17-26-36-46-56) on my Delphi. These gauges work for me and I never need to buy singles to supplement sets.

FWIW, the Pearse strings are as good as anything I've ever used except maybe Newtones (when they aren't corroded or poorly wound). Some folks like Bob Brozman are fanatical about Pearses and say they are the "best." I wouldn't go that far.
orb mellon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluescaster » Mon May 29, 2006 3:08 pm

rhapsodie wrote:I had my Martin at the shop here for a setup. Best shop in the place and probably the best in the country. I use D'Adarrio PB's and they told they wouldn't fit a new set. All strings lose intonation as they age but the d'Adarrio's where the worst they had tested.

Have any oy you guys found that to be true? I like the tone but I must admit that when they go dead it is REALLY dead. The shop will only stock and sell Kyser and Martin for Acoustics with their preference being Kyser.

I tried a set and the tone was pretty good and they did seem to deaden more gracfully but that shop is the only place in this country that imports them.

So, opinions on the quality and lasting of the d'Adarrio's, please.

Does Kyser actually make their own strings? Or are they made for them by one of the string manufacturers?

And the criteria this shop is citing sounds like a garage telling you not to buy a certain brand of tire because after they go flat you only get a few more miles out of them.....LOL

D'Addarios have a great reputation for a reason, my guess would be that this shop went with Martins and is just running down the competition....
thebluescaster
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon May 29, 2006 4:07 pm

fat paul wrote:Walter. amen about Red. When I played with him he played a strat. an old kay and my lead guitar players 1968 gibson les paul. He kicked butt with all three.
fat paul

I have a witness!!!!!! Red took me in as a teen. I learned a ton from him. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluescaster » Wed May 31, 2006 5:14 pm

orb mellon wrote:I'm surprised none of y'all mention John Pearse strings on acoustics. I use them myself, not because they are better than D'Addarios, which I think are generally excellent and very consistent, but because they make all sorts of oddball guages and sets.

Myself, I use 80/20 medium (13-17-26-35-45-56) on my 000-15s, an 80/20 "New Medium" (13-17-24-32-42-55) on my ladder braced Cromwell and a Spanish resonator set phosphor (13-17-26-36-46-56) on my Delphi. These gauges work for me and I never need to buy singles to supplement sets.

FWIW, the Pearse strings are as good as anything I've ever used except maybe Newtones (when they aren't corroded or poorly wound). Some folks like Bob Brozman are fanatical about Pearses and say they are the "best." I wouldn't go that far.

The Thomastiks that I've used for acoustic are the John Pearse set (JPTs).
thebluescaster
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 31, 2006 6:13 pm

I tried the Pearse strings, DRs, and all kinds, but - I demolish strings, I play hard and need to be a bit cost effective.

I'm more particular about guages than I am about the makeup of the strings - I'm working my way through 50 sets that I bought last year.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Guitar