I know this has been asked many times

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

I know this has been asked many times

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue May 23, 2006 5:22 am

Once again, probably the hundredth time this has been asked, but what would you all reccomend. A Regal resonator or a Johnson resonator? I would prefer an all metal body, but I'm not too concerned with about steel vs. bell brass.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:14 am

Either one would be a good choice. I've owned both. I think that you should play each one and make up your own mind.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue May 23, 2006 11:19 am

I have a Regal and some Rogues and if I close my eyes I have trouble picking which one is which when I play 'em. The Rogues are excellent guitars for the money. I got a Rogue acoustic WITH a mandolin for $89 and the Rogue acoustic sounds almost as good as my Martin believe it or not. I love it.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 23, 2006 5:02 pm

The Johnson's got a much better name. I've gotten great enjoyment from my Johnson over the years.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue May 23, 2006 7:32 pm

I have heard through this forum that the Rogues are awesome, however my cousin who owns a guitar store, told me that the Rogues are horrible if you ever have to do work on them (ie, they fall apart, and they are beyond cheaply made) but I dont know. I would like to play a Johnson, however, I dont know of any place around here (Seattle area) where they are sold. Tough luck for me. I've played a few Regal resos. Its just nice to have some opinions on them. Thanks.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 23, 2006 7:53 pm

I have both a Rogue Spider and a Rogue Trio and have been VERY happy w/ em! As for repairing.... they're so damn inexpensive you can simply replace it if the repair work is prohibitive! My Johnson is acoustic/electric reso and it's a hellava nice axe for the price as well!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Tue May 23, 2006 8:09 pm

I have a Regal RD-45(?) roundneck and a Johnson Delta Blues squareneck.

The Johnson is better quality out of the box. It had an open chambered soundwell that was as clean as my Gold Tone, a Continental Cone, a good set of tuners and a capped maple saddle. However, the nut was horrible. WAYY too much glue and it was cheap plastic with internal holes in it. One whack with a wood block to change the nut and it broke in half.

The Regal was Grady's before I had it and it is an older model. The inside is very messy and even chipping in most areas. I hear the new Regals have really upped their quality control to be on par with the Johnsons and Beards. FYI I still love the sound of that Regal.

More FYI: Regals are known to have narrower necks and have a longer scale giving them better fret access. I hear that roundneck Johnsons have beefier necks with wider fretboards. Take this into consideration.

Overall Johnson has better Cones and chambers IMO. Otherwise they are quite similar.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed May 24, 2006 12:42 am

In your opinion(s), which has better sound quality and craftsmanship between the Regal RC-2 Duolian, the Rogue Bell Brass Body Reso, and the Johnson Style-O JM998? That is if anyone has played them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Wed May 24, 2006 1:11 am

Myself I would go with the RC-1,cause with the steel body and lack of
chrome they sound alot like my old Duolians!
I find the plated ones have less reverb,and would go for the painted
ones,
I do like the bigger necks on the Johnsons though,

Kenny, 8)
slidnslim
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:17 am

leftyguitarman wrote:In your opinion(s), which has better sound quality and craftsmanship between the Regal RC-2 Duolian, the Rogue Bell Brass Body Reso, and the Johnson Style-O JM998? That is if anyone has played them.

I've played (or owned) them all. I'd have to say, for the price, go with the Rogue. MF has them for only $299 with free shipping. You can add a National cone, or anything else you want, and still come out ahead of the game. Out of the box a newer Johnson will probably sound better because of the Continental cone. If you find an older Johnson however it will have an Asian cone. If that's the case they are all about the same. The Regal will sound different because it is steel and the others are brass. If you want to step up a little look at the Gold Tone metal body resonators.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby telemonkey » Wed May 24, 2006 7:45 pm

I got a Rogue Triolian (wood body) that I've had for almost a year now. It seems good enough quality that I wouldn't hesitate buying the Rogue Brass bodied one. The craftsmanship of the Rogue can be a little shoddy. The nut on mine was glued in shifted toward the bass side like an eight inch! No kidding! The nut hung over the neck and the the low E was nearly unfrettable it was so close to the edge of the fingerboard.
And this was the SECOND one I ordered from Musicians Friend, as the first one I returned because it had a crack in it.
Now, though, after simply removing and resetting the nut, it proves it's worth. It has lasted me well, and most importantly, It sounds really, really good. Hosnestly better than some simular models by other more name brand manufacters.
As for the steel bodied Johnson, I've never played one. I'd love too though. I have tried a brass boddied Dean Reso a few times and thought it played quite well and sounded pretty good.
telemonkey
Regular

Return to Guitar