I need some guitar advice

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

I need some guitar advice

Postby dbugger » Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 am

I am looking for a guitar to start learning slide on. I have played for a few years but am getting bored and really want to try someting new. I am looking for a cheap beater that does well with slide. Accoustic is fine, and vintage is preferable. So far I have mostly been on ebay looking for old kay/harmony/epiphone/guild. Any suggestions on models or other brands? Should I be looking for a parlor size or an archtop? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
dbugger
Regular
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am
Location: deep south

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue May 23, 2006 11:27 am

Rogue resonators are great toys for the money...... I like them alot.

8)
User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue May 23, 2006 12:20 pm

User avatar
1dustyeod
Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Charleston, WV

Postby 1four5 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:03 pm

I am looking for a cheap beater


http://www.shopgoodwill.com click on musical instruments. Use caution, but there are some real good beaters too...especially if you like fixing them up and know set ups.
User avatar
1four5
Regular
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Kansas

Postby crowduck » Tue May 23, 2006 11:57 pm

I'd get one of the many Stella/Harmony's that show up on eBay weekly, or on that goodwill site. I've gotten 2 for less than $50 each.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 am

Postby dbugger » Wed May 24, 2006 1:31 am

Thanks for all the good advice guys. If I mainly want to play slide, will an acoustic be sufficient or should I spend more and get a resonator? I don't have alot to spend, but I also don't want to buy something and outgrow it quickly.
dbugger
Regular
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am
Location: deep south

Postby wwpete52 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:52 am

You can play slide on any steel string guitar (just set it up for slide by raising the action a little).
User avatar
wwpete52
Regular
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Washington State

Postby zhyla » Wed May 24, 2006 2:27 pm

dbugger wrote:Thanks for all the good advice guys. If I mainly want to play slide, will an acoustic be sufficient or should I spend more and get a resonator? I don't have alot to spend, but I also don't want to buy something and outgrow it quickly.


I think it's more a question of what sound you're going for than price. The cheap resos (Johnson, Rogue) are great and cheaper than most decent acoustic guitars that you would buy for non-slide playing.

If you're bored with your current guitars a resonator might be the ticket... though these little parlor guitars that Crow keeps pimping are starting to catch my interest. Is he going to chip in on the marriage counseling though? That's what I want to know :).
User avatar
zhyla
Site Admin
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Postby crowduck » Wed May 24, 2006 3:27 pm

zhyla wrote:
dbugger wrote:Thanks for all the good advice guys. If I mainly want to play slide, will an acoustic be sufficient or should I spend more and get a resonator? I don't have alot to spend, but I also don't want to buy something and outgrow it quickly.


I think it's more a question of what sound you're going for than price. The cheap resos (Johnson, Rogue) are great and cheaper than most decent acoustic guitars that you would buy for non-slide playing.

If you're bored with your current guitars a resonator might be the ticket... though these little parlor guitars that Crow keeps pimping are starting to catch my interest. Is he going to chip in on the marriage counseling though? That's what I want to know :).


Psychiatric Help.........$.05

Reso kits are available too, and you could convert a Stella/Harmony flattop if really bored.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 am

Postby dbugger » Wed May 24, 2006 10:37 pm

So...with all of your help and a little research, I have narrowed my search down to the Stella Harmony, or the more inexpensive resonator models made by regal and rogue. Between regal and rogue, which one do y'all prefer? I'm looking for a versatile instrument that can handle slide/blues/bluegrass/ and country.
dbugger
Regular
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am
Location: deep south

Postby crowduck » Wed May 24, 2006 11:19 pm

dbugger wrote:So...with all of your help and a little research, I have narrowed my search down to the Stella Harmony, or the more inexpensive resonator models made by regal and rogue. Between regal and rogue, which one do y'all prefer? I'm looking for a versatile instrument that can handle slide/blues/bluegrass/ and country.


If you decide to go the reso route, given the 'versatility choices' you list, I'd go with the the Rogue Classic Spider, MF has them for $179 with free shipping. Get a roundneck model, and if you want to convert to lapstyle for bluegrass/country get a 'nut riser'..

CrowDuck[/code]
crowduck
Regular
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 am

Rogue....

Postby slickcat » Wed May 24, 2006 11:53 pm

I have a Rogue chrome brass body I love it. You can hear some sound clips on my site below...just dont make fun of my playin..I aint BB King ya know. That rogue spider looks great for $179.00 it will sound more mellow than the brass body.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=361315
User avatar
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:12 pm
Location: Jackson, NJ

Postby dbugger » Thu May 25, 2006 1:14 am

Considering I picked up my first slide a week ago, you are light-years ahead of me. If I could get that sound out of my guitar I would be very pleased. Congratulations on your great recordings.
dbugger
Regular
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am
Location: deep south

Postby wwpete52 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:48 am

I love that photo of the kitty playing the guitar!!!
User avatar
wwpete52
Regular
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Washington State

Postby grady » Fri May 26, 2006 3:51 am

There's a massive amount of different Sound Samples of various Guitars at my Soundclick page.

Reso's (both Spider and Biscuit, Wood Body, Steel & Brass)

They might give you a better idea of what you want.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Next

Return to Guitar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests