good pickups for resonators?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

good pickups for resonators?

Postby demo » Sun May 21, 2006 3:40 am

preferably something cheap.

any good suggestions...?
demo
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun May 21, 2006 6:50 am

There just ain't no such thang as a good "cheap" pickup for a resonator but this is a good one:

http://www.schattendesign.com/resonator.htm
wwpete52
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun May 21, 2006 7:33 am

Failing that, I've had good experience with magnetic pickups. People often complain that the magnetic doesn't get the true "cone tone". They're right about that, but in my experience neither do piezos and with a hint of overdrive that can sound retty convincing. They're also less prone to feedback then piezos and avoid that icky, brittle midrange "quack". I've enjoyed using Danelectro Lipstick pickups and varations thereof and have heard good things about (but never tried) the Lace Dobro Sensor.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby richard » Sun May 21, 2006 10:03 am

along with some others on here, i use a schatten pickup. It gives a good reso sound, if that's what you're into - some prefer magnetic pickups to get a more electric sound. depends on what you're after.

richard
richard
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sun May 21, 2006 6:27 pm

I totally agree with Jellyroll.
But.
A piezo can be of use as a reinforcement to a mic, and for this works well.

As for cheap p/up's, well I made one a few months back as suggested by some helpfull BRB' guys, and it sounds great.
Cost about $10, was real easy to make too.
I use it live twice a week, on my spider reso, along with an AKG C1000s mic, and because it was so cheap, it sounds even better!
Check the search funtion for "Making a pickup".
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby demo » Sun May 21, 2006 9:16 pm

thanks for the suggestions, i'll probably end up making one myself, if i have the time.
demo
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Mon May 22, 2006 12:41 pm

I would think that the pickup you need depends on under which circumstances you are going to perform.

I don't think the needs are the same for someone doing solo gigs in small caf├ęs than another player with a full band doing big stages. Or is it?
De Ferre
Regular

Return to Guitar