Gibson J-50 opinions.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson J-50 opinions.

Postby heckergt » Thu May 18, 2006 7:34 pm

Just looking for personal opinions about a thought Ive been pondering. I have a 1956 Gibson J-50 thats in good condition. It is a very magical guitar. The story is that it use to belong to the Rolling Stones and was used for studio recording. There is no way to verify that. So who really knows. Anyway, I started playing bottleneck blues and I have a Gibson DFW60 Dobro. I dont know what year it is, I bought it used. The serial number doesnt match up to anything that Ive found on the internet. Maybe someone knows where I can find out what year it is for sure. Have you or would you trade a great sounding vintage guitar for a vintage Reso? I hardly play my J-50 but I would hate to regret getting rid of it. Im thinking of maybe trading my Dobro for a guitar thats of about the same value of my Dobro and trading my J-50 for a Awesome Reso. J-50 should be worth about $2500.00-$3000.00. While my Dobro, I should be able to get about $1000.00 for it. Has anyone done such a thing and regretted it down the road? What would you do is such a situation? My J-50 doesnt play bottleneck blues, but it does love standard tuning blues.
heckergt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 pm

Well, there's some mighty good blues that can be played in standard tuning without a bottleneck. You might want to do some of that.
ricochet
Regular

Postby heckergt » Thu May 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Well the problem with that is the action is way too low for good effective slide playing, no matter what tuning.
It just buzzes all over the place.
heckergt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm

Right. Which is why I pointed out that some folks play some nice blues in standard tuning, without a slide. You may not want to just concentrate on slide. If you've got a nice guitar, think mighty hard about it before getting rid of it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu May 18, 2006 8:44 pm

I must be missing something here.

a) You have vintage guitar that is just fine for playing acoustic / fingerstyle blues in standard tuning.
    b) You have a vintage roundneck reso that should be just fine for bottleneck.

And you want to trade them for another "regular" guitar and roundneck reso of comparable quality and value? Heh? What's the point? Sounds like you already have what you need.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby heckergt » Thu May 18, 2006 9:58 pm

What Im saying is the Dobro I have is a Gibson Dobro DWF60 built in the late 90s or early in 2000s. Nothing really special as compared to something that was built back in the day. Something that has been around. Something that has been worn in. Something that is carrying on the soul and spirit of the people who has owened it before. Im just wondering about maybe getting a Vintage Reso thats has been around the block, like my J-50 has. The Dobro I have right now is alright. It sounds good. The tone is good. The neck seems pretty narrow and the strings are pretty close together. I wish they had a little more space. Im not completely happy with my Dobro. I know that there is one out there that will fit like a glove. I dont really play my j-50 all that much anymore. So it would be like upgrading on my Dobro to one that is magical, but down grading on my j-50. Im not a rich man. It would be a means of getting a good vintage reso but would have to sacrifice a good vintage j-50. Im just wondering what other people would do. If you were really digging bottleneck on a dobro and really wanted to get a Dobro that touches you deep, would you sacrifice a Guitar that isnt getting the attention it deserves in order to persue your love of the bottleneck blues sound that only comes from a Reso?
heckergt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Since I'm playing happily on a Johnson Tricone that I've modded a bit, and that's gradually becoming "vintage" as I play it myself, I'm probably not the one to ask.
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu May 18, 2006 11:40 pm

I think your thinking is all wrong. Your goal should not be to get a vintage reso with some intangible mojo. Your goal should be to get whatever reso feels and sounds right for you -- be it new, old, whatever. You can easlily get an affordable reso, new or used, that will meet your needs for the amount that you could sell that Dobro for.

My advice is to ....

1. Keep the J-50. Your musical desires shift from time to time, and there will be a time when you will play it more often.
    2. Sell the Dobro and use the money to buy something you like.

Then you can give it your own soul. ;) Good Luck.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby heckergt » Fri May 19, 2006 2:36 am

I like that Idea. Maybe Ill start looking around for a differant dobro that fits like a glove. I like that J-50 and maybe someday, if I loose my pinky finger, then Ill pick up the J-50 again.
heckergt
Regular

Return to Guitar