Radiotone Bendaway

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Radiotone Bendaway

Postby willie g » Thu May 18, 2006 9:56 am

Who can tell me anything about their experiences with this guitar?
I've heard some good things.
-thanks
willie g
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:20 am

Mine is my baby. It's also the ONLY instrument I own that came perfect, and I still have never tweeked anything on it other than string changes. It's deep and growly and very loud when you get on it. When played lighter it calms way down and the highs become very pretty and clear. It's a slide dream machine, but you've got to get on the bass strings a little heavy to bring them out. I use D'Adderio phospher bronze .13's. I'm not sure what the nut width is, but the fretboard is very wide with tons of string spacing. It has a V-neck that is great. I use mine for finger style country/gospel/praise/hymns and bluegrassy type music with my friends, as well as blues and slide blues. I bought mine from Elderly, and requested "medium low" action, and it's been perfect for what I do. I sent in the warrenty card to national, and recieved a very nice had writtian thank you card from them. Even the case made for it is a thing of beauty and an indestructable tank. I would estimate it's weight at around 5 pounds, and built to last forever. It balances perfectly, and it's the one instrument I own that feels perfect...everything is right where it should be. I've owned my Bendaway longer than any other instrument I currently own and play regularly, and that will probably never change.
1four5
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu May 18, 2006 11:43 am

They've picqued my interest lately. I noticed that it seems to be out of production, as National no longer lists it on their website. True? Only available used these days?
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby willie g » Thu May 18, 2006 6:34 pm

Yes, I'm a little confused as to whether they are still officially being made - if you follow the link below, you will get to their Bendaway page, but it seems if you come in the 'front' way, it's not listed.

And thanks for that input 1four5, I also play the banjo and am looking to the Bendaway because I've developed rotator cuff problems. so the 5 pound weight sounds very appealing.
(p.s. - my family is from Bourbon county, and I lived in Johnson county for 5 years)

http://www.nationalguitars.com/bendaway.html
willie g
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 pm

I remember a post sometime around the new year (wouldn't have a clue how to find it, or if it was even on this board) about National's new models for 06 as well as the models they were dropping, and the Bendaway was one they did indeed discontinue. I have also noticed that some of these companies never take old web pages off line. I was searching for the resolectric, and found nationals Resolectric jr. which was really appealing to me...only to find out it had also been discontinued...the web page was dated 2003. Earlier this year, I was searching for a 5 string reso, and got all excited about one Gibson made...only to find out the web page was dated 1998, and they discontinued the model in 1999!

Cool, Bourbon county... (Fort Scott?) I'll bet you don't miss the hot dry summers!

BTW, I don't know how accurate my wife's hobby scale is, but my bendaway comes in at 5 pounds 14 ounces
1four5
Regular

national radiotone

Postby slidedude » Fri May 19, 2006 1:49 am

well the radio tone is my first and only resonator so I still have much to learn about resonators, but I will say this guitar is a keeper. I got mine new from bufflo brothers.New or used Just buy one!http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Bluesking/?action=view&current=DSC01612.jpg
slidedude
Regular

Return to Guitar