Reso Weight

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Reso Weight

Postby willie g » Tue May 16, 2006 11:59 am

Posting this again as it didn't seem to take the first time....

Can someone compare the weights of wooden body vs. metal body resos?

I've been playing a 13 pound banjo which has tore up my rotator cuff.

I want to get a reso but am concerned about the relative weights.
I play a Martin HD 28 which gives me no trouble.

thanks,
willie g.
willie g
Regular

Reso Weight

Postby bluzeluvr » Tue May 16, 2006 12:41 pm

A steel body reso like a tricone for instance, weighs about 11.5 pounds, although they feel like they weigh more. A wood body reso, like a triolian weighs about 7 pounds. But weight should not be a factor. I assume your rotator cuff problem is from playing standing up, with a strap slung around that shoulder. Generally speaking, people don't play reso's standing up, especially steel-bodied ones. Played sitting down with your left leg (if you're right-handed) propped up on a short stool, and the body nestled in between your legs, the guitar is well supported and balanced, taking its weight completely out of the equation. That position also tilts the neck at about a 35 degree angle (more or less), which I find quite natural and optimum for playing.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue May 16, 2006 2:36 pm

My brass body reso was 15 lbs including the box according to Fedex. Probably 13-14 lbs w/o the box. I can't imagine standing up with it.
zhyla
Site Admin

Reso Weight

Postby bluzeluvr » Tue May 16, 2006 2:57 pm

I said steel, but I meant metal, and should have said brass body to be more specific. But they don't weigh as much as people think. It's the fact that they are so unbalanced, with most of the weight obviously in the body, that when you grab one by the neck, even down close to the body, they just feel heavy. Johnson's spec for their tricone is about 11+ pounds, but my scale says it's barely 10.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 16, 2006 6:05 pm

I think the company says my Johnson weighs 10.2 pounds. I haven't tried to weigh it that precisely.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 16, 2006 6:16 pm

>>>I think the company says my Johnson weighs 10.2 pounds.

That's one BIG Johnson! :shock:
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 16, 2006 6:26 pm

I just sling it over my shoulder and go on.
ricochet
Regular

Reso Weight

Postby bluzeluvr » Tue May 16, 2006 6:43 pm

The first time my wife saw my ten pound Johnson, she gave it a nice compliment. ;)
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby richard » Thu May 18, 2006 11:56 am

I know what you mean about banjos.
I play a mastertone copy that so far has managed to just give me some back pain after playing for a while standing up.

I also play a wood body resonator, and it is definitely lighter. The weight is distributed a bit more evenly as well. Mine is a korean model, but it is jumbo size so i'm not sure how it would compare to more expensive models. I have played a wood body national ( style d) but can't remember if there was much of a difference.

I thought the resonator was heavy before i took up banjo !

Richard
richard
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:01 pm

I sold my $2000 13 pound banjo in favor of a $300 7 pound banjo for this reason. After 20 minutes, I wasn't having any fun any more. My electric banjo is @8 pounds, and it border lines on getting heavy in a long jam. My Radiotone Bendaway is light compared to either banjo, I know it's under 7 pounds...probably around 5 or so.
1four5
Regular

Return to Guitar