Tricone mod question

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Tricone mod question

Postby podunk_phill » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:14 pm

I know that this has been posted before but I can not find any reference to it since the archive is missing my question is would it hurt a tricone resonator if you removed the vertical leg of the T that is covering the saddle? The reason I ask this is that I have to play the guitar close to the neck so I can dampen the strings and I find this a little odd. So if anyone has removed the vertical part of the T covering let me know or if anyone know someone who has give please let me know how it affected the guitar.
Thanks
Phill
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Tricone mod question

Postby daveh222 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Mike Dowling did that on his El Trovador single cone. He said it makes the cone more vulnerable to damage and he is careful not to push down on the strings too hard. He told us (class at Port Townsend last summer) that he tapes the cover in place when he puts the guitar in the case for traveling. I imagine a tricone would have the same cautions, maybe a little less hazardous because any pressure on the stings is distributed over 3 cones instead of 1.

Dave
daveh222
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Yeah, I'd really worry about accidentally crushing the cones. They're quite fragile.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Bob Brozman gives a good demo of damping a Tricone on the 1st video of his series, Bottleneck Blues.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby podunk_phill » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:00 pm

I would be resting my hand on the horizontal piece of the T that would not be removed. Therefore there would not be any extra pressure on the strings. As far as traveling with the guitar I don't take it anywhere so I would be using a wall hanger instead of the case to store it in.
Phill
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michael segui » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:51 pm

I found that with practice you should be able to damp or palm mute on a tricone with ease. It comes so easy now that I have a hard time remembering having a problem with it, I think it is something that takes time... like thubpicks and fingerpicks.... something I STILL don't have a handle on.

Give it time.

Michael Segui
Est. 1974

"The electric guitar is a fraud." -
Mance Lipscomb
michael segui
Regular

Return to Guitar