Brozman Bottleneck Vids

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Brozman Bottleneck Vids

Postby the_big_crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Well, I'm about two months into using the Bottleneck Blues, Vol. 1 DVD and I have some observations:

1. Bob Brozman is one hell of a guitar player...really, the guy is just sick.

2. Everything sounds better on a National guitar…especially when Bob is playing it (as opposed to me playing my pawn shop Yamahammer).

3. Them tabs are not always accurate.

4. Bob likes to "go off" sometimes and tear up the guitar. Then he just moves on, maybe focusing on a tiny piece of what he just did.

3 and 4 have some important ramifications if you are planning on learning slide from these instructional materials. Perhaps most importantly, it means that if you are using Bob’s vids, you should worry less about copying Bob note for note, and instead focus on learning how to do the kinds of things he’s doing. I think this is important for a few reasons. For one thing, it forces you to be a little more naturally creative in your learning, which is difficult for me sometimes. I’ve primarily played bluegrass and a lot of times I spend days and weeks learning how to play fiddle tunes, note-for-note from someone else’s transcriptions. Trying to get the essence of what is being taught rather than reproducing it has been a new way of approaching the instrument. Another reason that I think this is important is because so much of slide guitar is about the individual’s approach and feel. Slide does not (and usually should not) have to be sloppy, but compared to just fingering certain strings at certain frets, it is a somewhat more “indefinite” style of playing in which very subtle movements can have dramatic effects. If anyone is planning on using this video, then get ready to hit that “rewind” button on your DVD remote…a LOT. It’s amazing how much sound comes from a few small moves, and the surprising speed at which those hand movements are frequently made.

I’m really diggin’ it so far, but it IS some work. I finished David Hamburger’s book, and the Brozman vid makes me feel like I’m starting from scratch. Fingerpicks have been a MAJOR change that I’m still trying to adjust to using even after nearly two months of playing with them. However, I have come to accept them, and they are feeling more natural (almost) every time I play. I’ve also been amazed at how long it takes me to learn some licks that often seem very simple. I spent three days this week (I practice 30 minutes a day in the morning) working on a variant of an Elmore James lick that is only four bars long…and I’m still not entirely satisfied with how I’m playing it. Slide really is pretty damn difficult. So, anyway, that’s the report for now from a newbie. Hopefully I’ll have my Grammy for best new blues artist in the next 10 months, but I’m not bettin’ the farm on it!
the_big_crunch
Regular

RE: Brozman Bottleneck Vids

Postby fretmonkey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:42 am

I have the Brozman videos (all 3) and enjoy them a lot.

I was just checking out David Hamburgers stuff today and was thinking of getting some of his slide material (after going through some of his lessons on acguitar.com). How did you like his learning material?

FM
fretmonkey
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:27 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-06 AT 10:36 AM (EST)]I have all three of Brozman's DVDs, plus his book for Volume 1. And I also have the Hamburger book. I actually started with the Hamburger book, and found it to be OK. It's probably worth the purchase even with Brozman's stuff. Volume 1 of Brozman's material and Hamburger obviously cover a lot of the same ground, but they both have their tidbits to offer.

If I had to buy just one, I would go with Brozman. Hamburger focuses more on basic slide and fingerpicking techniques, and many useful licks for improvising. Brozman's approach is much deeper and more comprehensive. I think you get more of the complete package, so to speak. What he provides in terms of rythmn, chording, and basic song construction, in addition to the use of the slide, really provides a nice foundation for bottleneck style playing. Whereas after I had gone through Hamburger's book, I still felt like I hadn't learned that much. Brozman filled in the gaps for me.

I also recommend the Brozman book/CD that goes with the Volume 1 video. I find it helps reinforce some of the key things covered in that video. Seeing it demonstrated and explained by Bob, and then reviewing it in written form really helped it sink into my brain. The TAB for the songs is a great practice aid. By comparison, the pamphlet you get with the video doesn't come close.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby blindstanley1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:18 pm

i have had the set for about a year now and enjoy it very much. i have pretty much given up on the idea that i am going to play note for note with mr. brozman, but i pull the set out every now and then and try to pick up a technique or two.
as a footnote, i met him at the namm show a couple years ago and he is a true gentleman and genuine nice guy. i was asking him about an article he wrote regarding setting up a sound check for optimum sound. he was casual until he asked if i was a sound man or a guitar player. when i told him i was a slide player he got way more animated and we would probably still be discussing it if he hadn't of had to start another set. very cool guy and obviously from another planet when it comes to reso and slide palying.
regards
bs
blindstanley1
Regular

Postby the big crunch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-06 AT 11:02 AM (EST)]So his Acoustic Master Series book goes well with the videos? Do they do a better job of tabbing out some of the riffs he uses? I'd also like a good reference for open G scales, do his include some?
the big crunch
Regular

Postby the big crunch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 pm

>I have the Brozman videos (all 3) and enjoy them a lot.
>
>I was just checking out David Hamburgers stuff today and was
>thinking of getting some of his slide material (after going
>through some of his lessons on acguitar.com). How did you
>like his learning material?
>
>FM
Having never played slide, and having only started fingerpicking a few months before, I loved the Hamburger stuff when I was using it. However, after having now spent a month or so with the Brozman videos (well, so far just the first one) I'm not sure I'd recomend the Hamburger book. There are some stylistic diferences. As mentioned, Hamburger tends to be somewhat in the vein of playing country-blues stuff but with a slide. The Brozman vid (at least volume 1) focuses on a harder and more driving delta blues sound. One big diference is that Hamburger never even mentions using fingerpicks, whereas Brozman makes the point that you can't do without them if you really want to make play slide guitar. I know those points are up for debate, but at least when playing slide, I've more or less switched sides and now agree with Bob. Having spent so much time running through the entire Hamburger book with no fingerpicks, it's been dificult to make the switch...and at times I even considered dropping them altogether. However, as I said earlier, I've come around to them, even if I'm STILL getting used to them. I'll also add that when I finished the Hamburger book, I didn't feel like I had much knowledge about slide or open tunings. I knew quite a few riffs, and could "fake" my way around with a slide, but I didn't feel like the months I had put into working through the book had left me with much to draw from...although I'll openly admit that despite my love of the guitar, I'm not a particularly fast learner when it comes to the instrument.
the big crunch
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-06 AT 11:32 AM (EST)]>So his Acoustic Master Series book goes well with the
>videos? Do they do a better job of tabbing out some of the
>riffs he uses? I'd also like a good reference for open G
>scales, do his include some?

1. I am not sure if the book was not designed specifically to sync up with Vol 1, but it essentially covers the same ground as the 1st video.

2. The book is much more complete in every respect compared to the video pamphlet that came with the DVD. It was designed to stand on its own - an alternative to the video. So you get a lot more depth.

3. In the very beginning, he lays out the G major scale on the entire fretboard.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:40 pm

>I'd also like a good reference for open G scales, do his include some?

Look here: http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/g ... ex_rb.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby chief ten beers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:03 am

>Well, I'm about two months into using the Bottleneck Blues,
>Vol. 1 DVD and I have some observations:
>
>1. Bob Brozman is one hell of a guitar player...really, the
>guy is just sick.
>
>2. Everything sounds better on a National guitar�especially
>when Bob is playing it (as opposed to me playing my pawn
>shop Yamahammer).
>
>3. Them tabs are not always accurate.
>
>4. Bob likes to "go off" sometimes and tear up the guitar.
>Then he just moves on, maybe focusing on a tiny piece of
>what he just did.
>
>3 and 4 have some important ramifications if you are
>planning on learning slide from these instructional
>materials. Perhaps most importantly, it means that if you
>are using Bob�s vids, you should worry less about copying
>Bob note for note, and instead focus on learning how to do
>the kinds of things he�s doing. I think this is important
>for a few reasons. For one thing, it forces you to be a
>little more naturally creative in your learning, which is
>difficult for me sometimes. I�ve primarily played bluegrass
>and a lot of times I spend days and weeks learning how to
>play fiddle tunes, note-for-note from someone else�s
>transcriptions. Trying to get the essence of what is being
>taught rather than reproducing it has been a new way of
>approaching the instrument. Another reason that I think
>this is important is because so much of slide guitar is
>about the individual�s approach and feel. Slide does not
>(and usually should not) have to be sloppy, but compared to
>just fingering certain strings at certain frets, it is a
>somewhat more �indefinite� style of playing in which very
>subtle movements can have dramatic effects. If anyone is
>planning on using this video, then get ready to hit that
>�rewind� button on your DVD remote�a LOT. It�s amazing how
>much sound comes from a few small moves, and the surprising
>speed at which those hand movements are frequently made.
>
>I�m really diggin� it so far, but it IS some work. I
>finished David Hamburger�s book, and the Brozman vid makes
>me feel like I�m starting from scratch. Fingerpicks have
>been a MAJOR change that I�m still trying to adjust to using
>even after nearly two months of playing with them. However,
>I have come to accept them, and they are feeling more
>natural (almost) every time I play. I�ve also been amazed
>at how long it takes me to learn some licks that often seem
>very simple. I spent three days this week (I practice 30
>minutes a day in the morning) working on a variant of an
>Elmore James lick that is only four bars long�and I�m still
>not entirely satisfied with how I�m playing it. Slide
>really is pretty damn difficult. So, anyway, that�s the
>report for now from a newbie. Hopefully I�ll have my Grammy
>for best new blues artist in the next 10 months, but I�m not
>bettin� the farm on it!
wow you really like to use them question marks,lol.
chief ten beers
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Ten Beers, it's a problem on your end. It shows up fine on mine. There are some nonstandard character sets that don't translate well. In the past I've seen lots of funky Greek letters where some Windows user was using fraction symbols, that kind of thing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar