Discontinued Blues 996

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: Discontinued Blues 996

Postby songdog » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:00 pm

>
>Wouldn't surprise me if it was some kind of readily
>available (in asia, that is) mahogany relative, they seem to
>be pretty big on using stuff like agathis there.

Well, their website used to specify that it was mahogany but you could be right about them using a cousin of the species. Seems that there were quite a few variations of the 996 manufactured as I've seen them in other colors than the green and blue, different cover plates, different logos, etc.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:07 pm

"Mahogany" has always been a group of similar-appearing hardwoods. The Central American ones are pretty much logged out. All the guitar makers are using "mahoganies" from Africa and Asia these days. Agathis is a spruce-like conifer (softwood) from South America and Australia.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-06 AT 01:14 PM (EST)]>"Mahogany" has always been a group of similar-appearing
>hardwoods.

Same goes for "rosewood" (the Brazilian stuff you see on even the cheapest old guitars is not quite the same as the Indian stuff they use today) or "spruce" (I know a few builders that could describe in minute detail the sonic differences between red spruce, adirondack spruce, and all the other commonly used varieties, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to that).
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby crowduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm

>I "skinned" my 996. Couldn't live with that ugly paint, just
>looked as WRONG as two left shoes.
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/bighollowtwang/nakedjohnson1.jpg
>
>I can assure you the neck is NOT plastic.

Zak,

I've got one 'skinned' like yours to bare brass. Do you polish yours, or let oxidize to a patina?.

Ditto on the neck, I've removed a couple, and attest that it's just covered with some very thick opaque paint.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:22 pm

I've skinned my 996 too but was disappointed to find many scratches and grind marks, going in all different directions, from where they ground down the welds around the edges of the body.

I may try to buff the brass to remove some of these scratches, or at least see if I can get most of them lined up in the same direction. If not.... it is what it is.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 pm

>I've skinned my 996 too but was disappointed to find many
>scratches and grind marks, going in all different
>directions, from where they ground down the welds around the
>edges of the body.
>
>I may try to buff the brass to remove some of these
>scratches, or at least see if I can get most of them lined
>up in the same direction. If not.... it is what it is.

Song,

Check your Yellow Pages for "Metal Polishing and Sandblasting". You can have the body 'Bead Blasted'. I think they use silica beads, and I've heard the result is a satin, non glossy finish. Another idea I've been considering is trying a Duco crystalline finish like came on some of the old time National metal bodies. You get the Duco by adding original type(napthalene) mothballs to nitro laquer. If all these fail, there's always auto body spray paint.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Or, you could put a black patina on it with liver of sulphur, and then either partially rub it off as artists commonly do with copper and brass items, or just let it wear off naturally with use.

ricochet
Regular

Postby crowduck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:45 pm

>Or, you could put a black patina on it with liver of
>sulphur, and then either partially rub it off as artists
>commonly do with copper and brass items, or just let it wear
>off naturally with use.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Good one Rico! I'd forgotten about that stuff. Something like that can be found at stained glass suppliers, used to put 'patina' on tiffany style lampshades and such. Could be messy and harmfull though as it 'wears off' on skin, clothing, etc. Those patinas are acidic or caustic, and I wouldn't want it on my hands, eyes, etc., might want to do a clearcoat over the top.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:45 pm

"Liver of Sulphur" is usually polysulfides of potassium. It's caustic as a solution (about like TSP or washing soda), and if acidified will release toxic hydrogen sulfide. The patina is copper (and zinc, in the case of brass) sulfide, not highly toxic. It works best if the solution and metal are heated. It needs to be rinsed off well after application. "Lime Sulfur," which is sold as a fungicide in garden stores, will also serve the purpose. It's calcium polysulfides. A warm 10% solution has been recommended for patinizing copper. Handle with care, using rubber gloves and safety glasses, and excellent ventilation.

Many generations of art students, artists and craft people have used this stuff, mostly without killing, blinding or disfiguring themselves. It's not rocket science. Not too long ago I found something I'd made in 7th grade, where I'd pencil-drawn a picture of two condors landing on their nest on a rocky crag, pressed it into sheet copper, patinized it with liver of sulphur, rubbed it off with steel wool, sprayed it with clear lacquer, and fastened it to a piece of paneling with small brads. Darned if it doesn't still look pretty good.

ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:27 am

If you're into patinas, Ron Young is the guru. His company has all kinds of premade ready to apply patinas.... takes most of the guesswork and experimentation out of your effort.

[http://www.ronyoungpatina.com]

Most patinas (chemicals) for brass, copper and bronze are fairly benign just because these metals seem to react more easily. There's even some water-based solutions that provide good results. However, if you live in an area with moderate to high humidity, the stuff will patina naturally and quickly. Here in Colorado we don't know the true meaning of humidity (our humidity yesterday was 6%) so if we want that 'aged' look, we have to help it along.

I've got some buffing wheels and different types of rouge so I'll see if can clean up some of the scratches before I think about polishing or finishing the git.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am

Where I live, in Santa Cruz, CA., I'm less than 2 miles from the ocean, and during the summer the ocean fog 'rolls in' late afternoon like a dense blanket. You should see what it does to any uncovered metal left outdoors. Maybe I'll just hang that brass body outside on my deck, and let nature take its course.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Crow,
I didn't know ya lived in Santa Cruz!
My family took care of a wealthy woman that rented a house on the beach at Aptos every summer and we got to spend 2 weeks with her every year. MAN, what great adventures we had there!
My younger years were spent playin in the sand and body surfing and as I made my way into my teens I sought the hippy sceen down at the "Cooper House" (still there?). Lotta great street music back in the late 60's early 70's!
My grand parents used to buy old Victorian houses to rehab and re sell there so after I hit my teens I spent all summer there helping my grand dad. This was back when you could pick one up for under 10 grand, sink 5G into it (while living in it) and turn it for a handsome profit!
Yer a lucky man! I LOVES that place!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t bone bbq » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:37 pm

I like my 996 with the powdercoat finish...it's something different from the normal stuff. Still not sure if I want to sell it or trade it in on a Swamp Stomper tho...;)
t bone bbq
Regular

Postby crowduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:44 pm

>Crow,
>I didn't know ya lived in Santa Cruz!
>My family took care of a wealthy woman that rented a house
>on the beach at Aptos every summer and we got to spend 2
>weeks with her every year. MAN, what great adventures we had
>there!
>My younger years were spent playin in the sand and body
>surfing and as I made my way into my teens I sought the
>hippy sceen down at the "Cooper House" (still there?). Lotta
>great street music back in the late 60's early 70's!
>My grand parents used to buy old Victorian houses to rehab
>and re sell there so after I hit my teens I spent all summer
>there helping my grand dad. This was back when you could
>pick one up for under 10 grand, sink 5G into it (while
>living in it) and turn it for a handsome profit!
>Yer a lucky man! I LOVES that place!

Mickey,

Sadly, "Cooper House" fell victim to the quake in '89, and was torn down, along with a number of beautiful old places. SC has changed a great deal since the 70's, but is still a great place to live, compared to others. SC, in a recent study, was rated as the 2nd 'Least Affordable' place to live in the USA, behind 1st place SanFran, and ahead of N.Y. & Boston, 3rd & 4th. I remember seeing Bob Brozman as a 'street musician' down on Pacific Ave. in the late 70's, he lives in Ben Lomond now. Still get lots of great music here, as SC is 'warm up' venue for tours. B.B. King will be in Aptos next month for the SC Blues Festival. I'm actually in Soquel Village, just down the road from Aptos, and adjacent to Capitola Beach. Pat Simmons of the Doobie Bros is from here. I'm very lucky to live here, as SC is home to many of the countries best luthiers. Rick Turner makes Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac's guitars, Jeff Traugott, Santa Cruz Guitar Co., among others. Whenever I 'get an itch', and think I want to move elsewhere, I watch the national 'weather report'. Yeah, it rained a little yesterday, but the temp was 65 here while 101 in Dallas. And I'll be complaining in a couple of months when it gets up to a 'whopping' 80 deg for 2 hours, before the afternoon fog 'rolls in', and brings it back down to a 'chilly' 65. When I get depressed here, I sometimes drive 'over the hill' to San Jose for a 'dose' of heat, smog, and congestion, to 'clear my head'........I'm really spoiled. Can't imagine living anywhere else.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby crowduck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:47 pm

>I like my 996 with the powdercoat finish...it's something
>different from the normal stuff. Still not sure if I want to
>sell it or trade it in on a Swamp Stomper tho...;)

T-Bone,

You could add a PU to the 996 and really be "different from the normal stuff".

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar