Reso bridge setup question.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Reso bridge setup question.

Postby bignick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:20 am

Hey folks, for some reason or other my Gold Tone decided that the bridge would drop a bit and now my action is super low and buzzing all over.

Is my spider just breaking in? Should I just order a higher saddle? The spider doesn't appear to be bowed or crushing the cone. I examined that first.
bignick
Regular

RE: Reso bridge setup question.

Postby dabluz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:19 am

hmmmm,sounds a little on the strange side, does it have a conventional sound well or is it a sound post type spider?[http://www.soundclick.com/pappad]
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:19 pm

It has a soundwell.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:54 pm

My guess is the tension screw in the center of the cone is backing out. When it's loose, the cone gets squooshy and the bridge sinks. Tighten it and the bridge rises, plus the action feels a lot "snappier." Stew-Mac's suggestion is to tighten it somewhere between 1/4 turn and 1 full turn tight after it first starts to apply compression between the bridge and cone. You can easily feel that point while gently turning the screw, even with the strings on and tuned up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar