Johnson and Rogue question.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Johnson and Rogue question.

Postby bignick » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:02 pm

Well, I realize now that for true dobro tone when playing lap-style requires a squareneck. I can't use the string gauges I need on a converted roundeck and am not messing up my Beard or Regal.

I have no more than about 220 total to play with and am thinking about either a Rogue Classic squareneck or a Johnson Delta Blues squareneck.

The Johnson looks really good. I had some questions though. Does it come with decent saddles and is the nut Bone?

I'm not expecting that from the Rogue, but anyone who has that roundneck model could help me out. I hear that the tailpieces break off easilly and that the guitar is a gamble.

I could pick up a Regal RD-50 with a graphic EQ and pickup installed on ebay for 200 but I don't know about a GE on a resonator and it ends in 3 hours.
bignick
Regular

RE: Johnson and Rogue question.

Postby bignick » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Sorry for the mixup but the squareneck I am looking at is a Johnson CHICAGO blues model NOT the Delta.
bignick
Regular

RE: Johnson and Rogue question.

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:12 pm

I had a roundneck Chicago Blues. It had hardwood saddles that looked like maple. The nut was some kind of hard plastic. I thought it was a mighty fine sounding reso. It had some minor cosmetic flaws if you looked closely, but was generally well built. I had no complaints about it. It went away in a trade, and I still miss it sometimes. I like the spider sound a lot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:26 am

delete post
Last edited by wwpete52 on Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:52 am

I hear that the tailpieces break off easilly and that the guitar is a gamble.

Great guitar, nasty growly sound, very blended tone that makes you really sound good with a slide. One thing I didn't like was the narrow fretboard. Well built. Very thin, but functional maple saddle. Had to clean the sound well out...there were factory glue blobs under the cone. Tuners are kind of cheapy but work fantastic. I got mine in a trade, sold it, bought it back, then traded it away again. I loved it, but never got used to the narrow fretboard. A friend (BRB member Tim3finger) owns it now...never know, it might come home again someday. Very good looking with a great gloss finish.

And yes, the tailpiece on mine broke in the middle of a hard jam when it was a few months old. Got a replacment from StuMac for @ $15.00
1four5
Regular

Return to Guitar