how to determine finger diameter?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: how to determine finger diameter?

Postby david » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:51 am

As for the original question of sizing your finger...

When I ordered my Diamond slide I wasn't willing to do without my one really comfortable fitting slide long enough to send it to him for a guide (that would probably be the most reliable method).

So I laid my slide on a copy machine and made a copy with the slide to one side. Then I put that sheet back into the copy machine and set the slide on it's end with my hand outspread along side it.

The result was a photo copy of my hand (with pinky designated as the slide finger) alongside a side and end view of my slide.

Sort of like sending him a blueprint to work from.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby seeker » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:05 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-06 AT 08:14 AM (EST)]I've got 2 Ultimates, one Blue and one Green, both open ended. The blue is very mellow and smooth sounding, while the green is more jumpy and "alive". Both great, but very different from each other. I'm so glad I have 2 to choose from, because they really do fit different feelings.

To me, nothing sounds as good as lead crystal. In fact, I'd say that the change in tone from a cheap pyrex slide to bottle glass is as big a change as bottle glass to lead crystal is. There's just nothing to compare its tone to. Not that there's anything wrong with bottle glass, it's great too, just more raw sounding.

Anyway, for sizing I checked the numbers printed on the stickers in a few dunlops, then went to their website to convert it, added a mm here and there to make it perfect and they both were.
seeker
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:11 pm

"I have a gray, bullet shaped Ultimate as well. I haven't tried the open-ended version. What do you like better about it? Just the fact that's open-ended? Any difference in sound quality?"

I liked the IDEA of the bullet shaped slide - I wanted something balanced more like a socket wrench, with a little mass out at the end - but the pink one just seems a bit easier to move about.

The Bullet IS an excellent slide, though, no question.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Didn't anyone like my idea about cutting your finger off and mailing to the slide guy for fitting?
wwpete52
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:21 pm

Well, it sounds good, but I need to know how it worked out when you did it...

You know, in case there's any unforseen consequences.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:46 pm

>>>Didn't anyone like my idea about cutting your finger off

I spose w/ the advances in medicine today it could work.... hell, they were able to sew John Wayne Bobbits unit back on! But I think I prefer using a ring gauge or a socket more!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Yeah.... but just think of the stories it could tell you about the trip when it got back....!!!

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:49 pm

You could make a plaster cast of your finger, and send it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:05 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-06 AT 02:06 PM (EST)]I got it! You could just strip the flesh off of your finger and then use your finger bone as the slide!
Your 'blues name' could be "boner."
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-06 AT 02:30 PM (EST)]I think the overall diameter would be the same as a 9/16 socket but if I have one made w/ a tapered end I'll have to do a cast of my nostril cuz my pinky fits just right!:+
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Send your nose, then, and keep playing with the finger.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:35 pm

*Ladies and gentlemen, all the way from Washington State... please give it up for "Big Boner Pete and the Thrusters"*
Yeah man, I likes it!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:09 pm

A gold fish walks into a bar and sits on a bar-stool. The bartender asks the gold fish "what can I get you?" The gold fish replies, "water."

What does that have to do with slides and fingers? Nothing!
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:21 pm

So it's right in the BRB tradition, then.

ricochet
Regular

Postby diamond » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:41 pm

Well now....you wait for the old chap to disappear for the weekend - then talk about me :D!! Seriously though, thanks again to everyone for your lovely comments about our glassware - as always it's very much appreciated by us here :)

There are a few different ways to size up your slidin' digit so as to obtain your ideally-sized slide - the best way is most definitely to send us your favorite slide. We can then work with that piece to make you a perfectly matched slide. The recommendations here by Grady, David, Lummo and others also work fine for us to make a nice slide, so thanks to the guy's for their input. One other way to find your ideal slide measurement is to take a trip down to your local Home Depot, or hardware store that deals with plumbing supplies....and just slip your slide finger into a few of the water pipes carried in stock. When you find one that fits your finger snugly & comfortably, write down the size from the label - and let us know your findings.

Regarding the difference between our closed-top and open-ended lead crystal 'Ultimate' slides from a players point of view, the general opinion is that the closed-top option allows for a smoother, 'thicker' tone and easier vibrato due to the extra weight and mass of the glass dome. The downside to this version is that it can feel clumsy at first, and makes for a sweaty slide finger after a while - especially when playing under hot stagelights. The open-ended slide has slightly less mass & weight than it's closed-top cousin - but is easier to control and allows the slide finger to breathe whilst in playing mode.

Hope that helps folks - if you need any more assistance regarding the ordering of custom slides, or any further information of our other slide models, please don't hesitate to get back to me either from off the board here or via the 'Contact Us' page of our website - we'll be pleased to hear from you :D

Thanks, from a happy slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar