Messin' Around In D

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Messin' Around In D

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 pm

I've just figured out, in Open D, a nice blend of Mississippi Fred McDowell's "You've Got To Move" and Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen," basically the same tune done originally in different keys, that works nicely for either song, as it also does with slight modifications for Tampa Red's "It Hurts Me, Too," or the first-recorded version of that tune, The Mississippi Sheiks' "Sitting On Top Of The World."

Somebody a while back said they liked to do "Little Red Rooster" in Open D. I tried it, and by golly, I like it that way, too!

Notice how diplomatically I avoided any mention of the theory that Robert Johnson played in lower keys than we hear, but the disk was slowed down as he was recorded so it sounds higher and faster? Wouldn't want to stir any controversy.

BTW, I play a version of the Zeppelin take on Memphis Minnie's "When The Levee Breaks" in Open D, and really like it. Since I'm not Robert Plant, it suits me better. Jimmy Page has said that he played that in Open G on a 12 string Fender, and the recording was slowed down (to about F) to "thicken up the sound."

I've also been playing around in D with some of those Johnny Cash songs like "Folsom Prison Blues," but tuned that low I have to cheat and go back up on the descending run at the end of a verse. I could get away with it in E. It's easy in F. G's a little high in places.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

RE: Messin' Around In D

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 pm

That's cool Ric!
As I mentioned I've been learning "Amazing Grace" in open D and now have my Spider and my SS in D and my ES in open G.
The first song I attempted in o/D was "Feelin Bad Blues" but then as a rank novice once I discovered o/G I gave up on D until a couple weeks ago and I'm diggin it now!
Thanks for the play list, now I have more to work on in D!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Ah, but if you play Johnny Cash songs in an Open G type tuning, the alternating bass is easy as pie.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:50 pm

I'm sure it is.

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:54 pm

Hey Mick, I don't have much on my Soundclick page, but one thing I do have on there is "Amazing Grace," which I recorded for that tribute to Boz that we put together some time back. It's linked off of: http://www.soundclick.com/johnculp/

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:20 pm

I likes it Rico!
Different than the ver. I'm learnin but I'm gonna add alittle of yers to mine fer added spice! THANX!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 pm

You're welcome. It's basically the version Jason taught me long ago, but I do it my way. I think everyone should do the same.

ricochet
Regular

Postby 5_iron » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:17 am

I've been in D exclusively for the past 6 months on both my reso and strat. Doing everything from Delta Blues to Celtic to Beatles to Allman Bros to Bluegrass. Love it! Helps that my instructor favors D. It is a versatile tuning!
5_iron
Regular

Return to Guitar