Standard vs Open tunings

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Standard vs Open tunings

Postby angry » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:57 pm

Gday All,
I'm at a bit of an impasse at the moment with respect to practising in Standard tuning. Since I decided to pick up the guitar again, a few months ago, I have been re-learning my chord structures and scales in standard tuning. However I find that since most of the music I love to play is slide in Open tunings (open D in particular, I'm on a bit of a Ry Cooder kick at the moment)I'm feeling less inclined to devote time to practising Standard chords and scales. I guess what I'm asking is how much time do you "hard core" sliders still spend playing in Standard? Am I selling myself short by leaving my axe in Open tunings and concentrating specifically on that?
I don't mind, from a singing perspective, being stuck in the key of D or G, but I if I decide to switch back to a standard song I will be a bit behind and almost starting from scratch.
Any advice,strategies, or experiences you could relate would be much appreciated.
Cheers and Beers
angry
Regular

RE: Standard vs Open tunings

Postby spud camp » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:27 am

Ive forgotten how to play in standard. Im not saying thats a good thing, but a fact. I worry about it sometimes, and it makes it rough to pick up a guitar anywhere and play. I would try to spread it out as much as possible, if I could go back and do it again. It just doesnt seem worth it at the moment, Im lazy I guess, but the music I LOVE to play is in open tunings, so its hard to get motivated.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:28 am

I pick up a buddy's guitar in standard from time to time.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:10 am

I'll go for a year or more without touching standard tuning, then for a day or two I'll think I want to do something in it. I never stay with it long, though. It's completely foreign to me. I think of it as half Open G and half Open E to make some sense out of it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:24 am

My advice (for what it's worth) is to not limit yourself. Play in open tunings but do not neglect standard tuning. Both are very cool.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby spud camp » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:29 am

I think of it as half Open G and half Open E
to make some sense out of it.

Thats pretty funny Rico. Interesting thread, I figured most everyone, BUT me, were standard tuning masters (or at least just as familiar with standard).
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:30 am

I pretty much abandoned standard tuning last summer. So much so that I relearned all my chord forms in open G, and am pretty sure I've surpassed my standard chord knowledge. I still jam some standard stuff when I visit a music store...but man I sure gotta think hard.
1four5
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:53 am

Open tunings have a way of seducing blues guitar players to the exception of everything else. Me included. I try to play another style of music like "Django stuff" in standard just to keep my chops current and in shape incase I might need them.
oleman
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:56 am

>what I'm asking is how much time do you "hard core"
>sliders still spend playing in Standard? Am I selling myself
>short by leaving my axe in Open tunings and concentrating
>specifically on that?

I like playing in open G, and I like playing in open D, and I like playing in standard. It's as simple as that, really. I couldn't imagine giving up one entirely in favor of another.
Each tuning has its advantages and disadvantages.
There's nothing wrong with concentrating on one specific tuning, but don't abandon the others entirely.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:23 am

I pick up different guitars everyday! I keep one in Std and one open (usually G) by my desk in my office and I have all different tunings in the "Music room" (converted dinning room). I have some arthritis in my mitts and at this point lead licks and finger picking seems to keep em limber so I like both! If I had to give the percentage of which I play more..... I'd say 60/40 open over Std at the moment but it varies!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:13 am

I keep my Martin in Standard tuning and my Reso's in Open G.

I use both Tunings during my gigs.

Those are the two tunings that I prefer.
I don't really mess with any other tuning.
grady
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:40 am

I keep my sorprano uke in standard tuning. It helps if I think of it as Open C6.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:44 am

I use only open E, and can't do anything in standard any more, except, being a lefty, I can pick up a right hander in standard and still operate the thing. Perhaps it's the fact of a greater difference or the inverted strings that lets me do it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:01 pm

I can tell you from recent experience that most guitar players don't know squat about open tunings and anything you do in it is likely to look pretty flashy to them.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby todd » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Not to high jack the thread, but I've just started playing some slide, and have found open G more to my liking than Open D or E....it seems a lot more of you are the same way.

My question is, for most blues songs played with slide can you pretty much play them in either tuning so long as you make necessary adjustments so that it sounds right?

Also, any sites for me to find basic chords in those open tunings? It would be eaiser than switching tunings 5 times a day based on what I feel like playing.

Thanks
todd
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar