What Kinda Slide??

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

What Kinda Slide??

Postby marlboroman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:41 pm

What kinda slide would you recommend for acoustic 12-string slide playin?? Metal, Glass or some other material???

I'm VERY new to playin with a slide, I bought a coricidin bottle slide for my first slide and it doesn't fit my finger for Sh*t.

Also what finger do I want the slide to fit on?? I see some guys use there pinky and some use there ring finger, is it just a matter of personal preference??

Also I was looking at a company called DiamondBottlenecks and they have custom slides, do they make those to fit your finger in particular or is it kinda get as close as they can type thing?? I was also wondering about the different ways slides are made. Some have open tops and they are like a tube, some have a closed rounded top and look like a bullet, some are shaped like a bottle top and so on..... you get the point!! There's a TON of different types SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?????

I know this A LOT of questions, BUT I'm trying to learn WITHOUT having to buy every slide made.

Thanks For ANY Help,
Jay
marlboroman
Regular

RE: What Kinda Slide??

Postby marlboroman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:47 pm

OHH YEAH, one more thing before I actually let someone answer those 100,000 questions from before.

Is it better to fingerpick when you play slide??? I ALWAYS play with a pick, BUT I've been tryin to learn how to fingerpick on my own and Damn It HURTS.
marlboroman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:08 pm

You can use slides of most any material. They will have different sounds and feel. Generally speaking, heavy slides work well with heavy strings, and vice versa.

Big D on here is Ian of Diamond Bottlenecks. I'm sure he can answer your specific questions about them. They're highly regarded for their quality.

A couple of my favorite slides, which I use on both acoustic and electric, are a Jim Dunlp #224 brass slide and a Craftsman 11/16" 6 point socket. (Sears sells sockets in different sizes to fit any finger.)

You can use either the ring or little finger to slide, and some use the middle or even index finger. I long used mainly my ring finger, lately mainly my little finger, but sometimes I switch back and forth. There are things you can do with the slide on one finger that you can't do with it on the other.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:09 pm

Most slide players fingerpick. Sometimes using finger picks.

ricochet
Regular

Postby marlboroman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:01 pm

are there any places on the net that kinda walk you through the basics of fingerpickin and/or slide playin???

What kinda slide would you recommend for a NEWBIE??? Are there any that are "easier" to use for a beginner????
marlboroman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:59 pm

On the main page of Big Road Blues is a link to some very basic slide lessons by Doc Mojo, who founded this site (but is no longer on here with us.)

I don't know that there's particularly an easier sort of slide for a newbie. First thing I started with was a wine bottle neck I cut off myself. Worked fine, and I've still got it. Right here, in fact.

ricochet
Regular

Postby orb mellon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 pm

I use a 5/8" craftsman long socket. I also like dark green glass. If you've got 20 bucks or so get in touch with Diamond bottlenecks for a double cut. Ian's olive oils are the best IMHO.
orb mellon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:56 am

For several years, I was quite happy with a Sears 9/16 socket - although I liked the idea of finding something made of glass that fit as well - and was some nice, heavy glass.

If you listen to the intro to, "Glass Socket" you can hear some exhausted studio chatter about "the perfect slide".

During a visit to England, I met with Ian for a pint or two - he lives not terribly far from Mrs. Lummox' parents - and checked out a selection of his slides. They were better than I had thought anyone was making - the weight, the fit, and they are really nice looking things.

I also have a bottleneck I cut from a vessel that had started out containing Slovenian Meade - nice green glass and another perfect fit, it was a long, thin neck - but that's usually at home as a backup.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:54 am

Not sure what I'd use on a 12 string but for starters I use a brass slide on acoustic and a heavy walled glass slide on electric. I like a mellow tone for slide and try to increase my bite by adjusting the midrange instead of changing the slide. As far as picking goes I use a thumbpick and fingers. I never did like finger picks but I never did care much for 100% finger picking because in my day job I can't have longer finger nails.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:29 pm

Right now I'm liking a sawed off piece of "Goose Gun"
shot-gun barrel,very heavy steel,1/16th thick but real heavy feel to it and large enough to fit
my finger as I've got big pinkies!
Its a really hard steel to work with but I think the tone
it produces is worth it, its kinda taking over from my bronze slides!

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Postby diamond » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Big D. is here :D ! Unfortunatly, during holidays when many youngsters over here in the U.K. are away from school they tend to spend A LOT of free time browsing the Internet! (whatever happened to kicking a ball around in the park?)...therefore most of our I.S.P. companies are clogged up at peak times - and i can't get connected :( Unless it's between 2.00 a.m and 7.00 am! So until schooltime returns to normality i'll only be hopping in occasionally (gripe-time over)

Hey Jay, i got your e-mail & i'll call you up tomorrow (we're about 6 hours in front of you here...

Slide On!

Ian.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :)
diamond
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Kenny, whatever possessed you to saw off your Goose Gun? That's a classic! I've still got mine with the original 36" full choked barrel. Believe it or not, I've carried it afield turkey hunting, through the woods on Holston Mountain on a mountain bike with the Goose Gun slung over my shoulder. Takes great awareness of where that muzzle is to avoid being "clotheslined" by tree branches. I think my ideal turkey gun would be a short barreled Mossberg riot gun with screw-in choke inserts.

A 12 gauge barrel section would work nicely as a pinky slide. Too small for my ring finger.

ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:29 pm

If you stick with slide you will end up with a drawer full of various slides. It seems to be an occupational hazard of sorts. Each slide will sound just a bit different and you will probably go through stages where different slides will be your favorite.

If your playing starts to get dull and your progress seems to be stagnant, changing slides is sometimes enough to recharge your interest.

As for the finger picking, there are many different styles and methods, but the main component of all of them seems to be getting the alternating thumb rhythm down. This is mainly a matter of muscle memory, which means find some easy patterns and do them while you watch TV until you don't even think about them any more.

Some of the most sage advice I ever got from this board was that you can ultimately train your fingers to do about anything if you stick at it.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:32 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-06 AT 12:33 PM (EST)]Oddly, I find the idea of a piece of sawed off shotgun barrel as a slide very cool indeed. In an "El Mariachi" way.

Any length of that left?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slidnslim » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:13 pm

>Kenny, whatever possessed you to saw off your Goose Gun?
>That's a classic! I've still got mine with the original 36"
>full choked barrel. Believe it or not, I've carried it
>afield turkey hunting, through the woods on Holston Mountain
>on a mountain bike with the Goose Gun slung over my
>shoulder. Takes great awareness of where that muzzle is to
>avoid being "clotheslined" by tree branches. I think my
>ideal turkey gun would be a short barreled Mossberg riot gun
>with screw-in choke inserts.
>
>A 12 gauge barrel section would work nicely as a pinky
>slide. Too small for my ring finger.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Oh Ric its not the same Goose gun your thinking of!

10 gauge,6' barrel,fixes to the bottom of a boat,
you can hit a coulple two three with each shoot,
there illegal nowdays,its from the forties or so my
father says?
much bigger than 12 gauge,

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar