Gigs ,the top and bottom.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gigs ,the top and bottom.

Postby houndog » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:52 am

Hello,
whilst the esteemed Walter holds the world blues record for mind melting gigs and audience participation, I thought it would be a laugh to post ours. Lighting Boy , you gotta post some boxing ones.
Now any gig will do...I haven't played for family as I am too much of a coward, but if you have and come out of it please post.

Bottom.
Being Inn, is set in a rural setting and about 5 years ago we were booked to play.
Turned up to a empty basement bar, turns out that the owner said that there was no music on and didn't advertise.
BUT, three men and a dog turned up, had a few beers and left.

Top.
Whistlebinkies , six years ago.Sweltering basesment bar..packed crowd..2am ...Irish hen night ..three lovelies on stage writhing ( yes writhing) along to a hot 15 minute version of Hip Shake...I couldn't see for sweat..place was going madd.
But the venue changed hands the following week and we were dropped.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

RE: Gigs ,the top and bottom.

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:47 am

Thought I'd post mine too.

Bottom:

Bob's Country Bunker(not the real name but you get the idea), some hick town in Kentucky. We played our first set to a packed house of bib overall wearing farmers and rednecks and were told by a huge man sitting at the bar that "I don't lak it, Caint ya'll play some Waylon or Merle" So for the second set I went out by myself with my flattop and did a comedy routine ala Larry the Cable Guy/Rodney Carrington and played the 5 country songs I knew on my flattop. Had those hillbillys about to bust a gut. Then to top it off the bar owner charged us for the beer we drank so we collected $75 for the gig.

Top:

Music Fest at UK campus, Lexington Ky. Headliner band had an accident on the way so my band was asked to headline. Something to be said about playing outdoors after dark in front of about 5000 folks especially when over half of them are drunk 18-22 year old college girls who really did guys in bands. For a while there I thought we were the house band at the local gentlemans club. Stratman says two thumbs up. Payday was very good as well as we were given the headliners money, 3 grand. Haven't got to play anything else even close to that since. Musta been my 15 minutes and we streched it out to an hour and a half.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Well Houndog,
I’ve had a lot of bad gigs, and a lot of great ones, but most are really just another job.

As for boxing, well the last fight was the worst.
I was a light middle weight, 71 kilograms, and at the weigh in I noticed my opponent
looked a lot bigger than me.
The matchmaker, Frank Kenny, weighed us in, and as usual we were all wearing just
socks and jocks.
When my opponent stepped on the scale’s, old Frank freaked.
He told the guy to take off his socks, and proceeded to weigh him again, although this
time he was lifting the guy up by the jocks to make him lighter, without anyone
seeing, (or so he thought).
Old Frank Kenny still had a worried look on his face.
Well, I lost the fight, and ended up with a broken nose, 2 black eyes and 6 stitches on
my cheek bone, as well as a badly bruised ego.
2 months later the same guy fought my youngest brother, as a heavy weight!
Man, I’d wondered why that guy could hit so hard.
Anyway, my bro knocked him out in 90 seconds, out like a light.
(My brother was the Australian amateur heavy weight champ).

Most bad gigs I’ve had are too depressing or violent to reminisce, but one comes to
mind thats neither.

Kirk Lorange and I were playing at an Italian restaurant, on the Gold Coast.
A real fancy place, and quite large.
Dozens and dozens of really nice tables, I mean expensive stuff, each set
immaculately for 8 people.
Trouble is, we were the only one’s there.
The guy who booked us advertised the wrong date, on the radio and in the paper.
We stilled played, cause I thought the owner would try to weasel out on paying us if
we didn’t.
So there we were, playing up a storm, to nobody.
In actual fact the chef came out, and sat down to watch, asking if we knew “La
Grange”.
“Sure” I said, and started playing the intro, while Kirk ripped it up on the slide.
What a gig! Anyway, we got well payed, had a free meal and drinks, and spent part of
the evening teaching the owners spunky wife how to improve her vocal technique.
Not all bad.

One of my fondest memories will always be when the Austalian Rules Football club
Collingwood won the grand final in 1990.
I was playing with a blues/boogie band, The Eliminators, at the Redhouse,
Melbourne’s premier blues venue at the time, which is in Collingwood.
The team hadn’t won a flag for years, so celebrations were huge.
The whole of Johnson St was blocked off, and there were 1000’s of revellers packing
themselves into the Redhouse, literally hanging from the rafters, and streaming out on
the street.
I’d never seen so many people.
We were on a large stage, huge PA and Light show, and I had my old JMP Marshall
cranked!
I remember when I was playing slide, everyone was yelling out, ” Johnny Winter”,
which I took as a huge compliment, and made me play some over the top stuff.
I was hamming it up, and we had the crowd hanging on every note.
Now that is just a feeling you can’t describe,,,, its addictive.
We didn’t pickup any women, didn’t even get payed much, but the band was cookin’,
and the huge crowd spurred me on to a high I’ll never forget.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamond » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Worst Gig - my band played a pub in Hendesford, Nr. Cannock, U.K....on the same day as their soccer team played in a Cup Final down London - the place was a ghost town and we played to 2 bar staff and the guard dog!

Best gig - this one's a draw between the very first Big Road Blues 'U.K. Bluesfest'; (Houndog & John-Boy's acoustic duet's were something one only dreams about - you had to be there to see two astonishing musicians play together :)) and supporting 'Little Angels' (long-gone early '90's U.K. rockers) at the Aston villa Leisure Centre in front of 1500 screaming 17-somethings....:D.

Happy Days!

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Hey LB, I know Kirk Lorange mainly from his weekly video slide lessons. He can really play that thing! I drop in over on his forum now and then.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Ric,
check out Kirks "Bottle neck" forum.
I think he mentions the infamous "Italian restaurant gig" over there somewhere.
And yeah, he can play that thing good!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:29 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-06 AT 12:30 PM (EST)]Worst; crowded bar - JC Dobbs in Philly - I'm trying to signal the Harp player to take a solo, but his head is turned away from me.

Song drives along past that moment, I end the song. Someone who was standing at the foot of the stage informs me that the Harp Player was oblivious because he had a Vics inhaler stuck up his nose, was rather obviously doing Coke onstage, everyone in the bar could see what was going on - including my attempt to get dude's attention. Except, of course, for the band.

Last show, of course, that we did with Dude. As a side note,
he's no longer among the quick.

Best show is basically any show where nothing like that happens. Hence my not being in any hurry to have a band together. Remember, another "Alumnus" recently checked out - and he was nother guy I stopped working with because of his substance situation.

Gah! I don't want to be someone who harps on about this one topic. But at this point, I'd rather work with a musician who was liable to rush me onstage with a meat cleaver than another hard drug casualty.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:46 pm

>But at this point, I'd rather work with a musician who was liable to rush me onstage with a meat cleaver

Now THAT's entertainment!

ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 am

Yea, I thought so too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon May 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Especially if he'd do it in clown makeup.

ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon May 01, 2006 4:03 pm

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Wed May 03, 2006 6:21 pm

Nice one,
LB we are going to have to create a new list"gigs I walked away from seeing out of both eyes".

Diamond Geezer ,
far too kind ( cheques in the post).

As a teen I played in a wee school band and the local hot shots got us in as support.

600+ crowd going mad for "Boheminan rhapsody" and "Long Train Running"..these boys were note perfect and hot...then the basturts said "uhhh fellas we have run out of songs, can you go back on" and being 17 year olds we did.....

Hard lesson in knowing age + stage limitations...

But LB, I ain't never been hit yet :D

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby david » Thu May 04, 2006 1:46 pm

>
>some hick town in Kentucky. We played our first set
>to a packed house of bib overall wearing farmers and
>rednecks and were told by a huge man sitting at the bar that
>"I don't lak it, Caint ya'll play some Waylon or Merle"

Can you be more specific. Was it hill hick, knob hick, flatland hick or river hick?

If it was a Kentucky river hick town, it might have been very near me. (And I won't be putting my overalls back on till I get home, thank you. I do have a brand new pair of bib overalls that I'll be wearing only on trips to town for awhile. It's traditional to only wear the new ones to church until they get a few grease stains on them.)

Down in the west end of the state, with all the rivers, there are only two kinds of music--country and western. If I could tolerate either of them I'd have all kinds of jam opportunities. Even if it is the traditional music of my people, I just haven't been able to do it so far. Your worst case scenario should explain my reasoning.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar