rockslide sizing?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

rockslide sizing?

Postby zhyla » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:27 am

Anyone have a rockslide? They look comfortable but I can't figure out what size to get. Right now I play with a Dunlop 222 (3/4" ID) with part of the cardboard it came in rolled up inside to make it a little tighter (11/16" or there about). I play with it on my pinky. So you'd think the "small" rockslide would fit the bill. But it is really short... 1-5/8"! They claim that will cover 5 strings but I don't think so.

So, anyone got any of these? And if you have a pair of calipers handy can you give me a measurement on the inside just past where the bevel ends?
zhyla
Site Admin

RE: rockslide sizing?

Postby crowduck » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:47 am

I've got one of those, and you're right, the Small size is too short, at least for acoustics. Might be fine on a narrow necked electric.
It fits my pinky perfectly though, and I have large hands, just wish it was 1/4" longer, so I could reach the bass strings, and barre all 6 strings. I just ordered another one Medium size, and the length is fine, but of course it's 'just a little too loose' on my pinky. So, I used the 'velcro fix'. Got a 'velcro repair kit' at the supermarket, used the fuzzy side, cut a strip and fastened it inside, it's got a sticky 'peel off' side, and now it fits 'just right. I like the beveled cutoff at the knuckle, the tapered interior, and the weighted end. I've been working on customizing a solid brass tube slide to match the RockSlide, but the Rock is still better. The search, 'never ends'. Someday, I'll sell my 'slide collection' and probably have enough to buy a guitar.
My advise, get a Medium, and try some Velcro.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 am

I have a small one. I love it for electrics but you will want a medium for the length alone.
bignick
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:43 pm

Most every slide I own has a bit of neoprene weather strip in em for a snug'r fit and it seems to work well fer me!
May try Crow's method next time since I have a strip of it around here somewhere.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluzeluvr » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:38 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-06 AT 05:27 PM (EST)]I have one. I bought the medium, and because I play with my pinky, I also put tape inside. I had a couple strips of 1/16?" double-sided tape laying around that is used to stick things on walls. It's that "cushiony" type of tape. I placed one strip along the bottom where my finger lies against the slide and another directly opposite on the top -- leaving the peel-off tape on of course on the exposed side. So my finger is nestled between the two. Now it fits just right and is very comfortable. I would imagine the velcro tape would work just as well.

I don't understand why Mark doesn't make the smaller width in the longer length. It seems like enough of us have the same requirement that there must be a demand for that. If you read his product specs, it is obvious that the full-size is intended to be worn on the ring finger, which is why he doesn't make it narrower. Likewise, he seems to feel that a longer slide is too much for the pinky. Hence, the "pinky" slide is shorter and only it is available in a narrower width. This obviously is reflective of his philosophy about slide playing. But of course we all disagree with him on this point. I use it as my primary slide for electric, and with the tape modification, it works well -- very manageable and great tone.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Sounds like the thing to do is get the medium and shim it like everyone else does. Either that or open up a shop selling THE WORLD'S FIRST FULLY-ADJUSTABLE SLIDE.

Hey is the medium long enough for use on an acoustic? It seems like that knuckle cutout eats into the length quite a bit.

Thanks for all the input guys.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby diamond » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm suprised Mark doesn't offer more size options - that amazing milling machine he has is fully computor programmed, and therefore i'd have thought, should be able to create any prefered slide size required quite easily - just my 2 cents worth :D

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:38 pm

>
>Hey is the medium long enough for use on an acoustic? It
>seems like that knuckle cutout eats into the length quite a
>bit.
>

It's OK on an acoustic. But you're right, the cutout does reduce the playable length, and in my opinion makes it a bit too short for a wider scale acoustic. But that should be no surprise. It really is designed as an electric slide, as its name would imply. That's what I use it for. I use it on a Guild, semi-hollow (chambered body) electric with a 16" radius. With that flat radius, it is a slide monster.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby zhyla » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:43 am

Ok so you guys talked me out of the rockslide. I *think* what I want is just a heavy brass slide that I will probably have to put tape or velcro or whatever in to make it fit.

Any recommendations?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby crowduck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:24 am

>Ok so you guys talked me out of the rockslide. I *think*
>what I want is just a heavy brass slide that I will probably
>have to put tape or velcro or whatever in to make it fit.
>
>Any recommendations?

Brass/Bronze Tractor bearing.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby zhyla » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:29 am

>Brass/Bronze Tractor bearing.

Eh, I'm in southern california, tractor parts aren't exactly lying around where I can see them :).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:54 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-06 AT 11:55 PM (EST)]Hell man, come over the hill to Bakersfield... our tractor shops and dealers are almost as busy as auto shops! Were a big Ag valley! Ya might find something in the San Fernando Valley!
Ya know.... I may just have to go to one of the tractor supply's tomorrow!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:21 am

>>Brass/Bronze Tractor bearing.
>
>Eh, I'm in southern california, tractor parts aren't exactly
>lying around where I can see them :).

Try the Yellow Pages.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby diamond » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:45 am

Our man Luther is the guy to see...go for his 'Bronze Bomber' slide;)

http://www.bigheartslide.com/bronze.html

.....available in different sizes too - you won't regret it :D

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:56 am

I also have an Acoustaglide by Latch Lake. If you want to try a heavy brass slide, it is certainly that. It has a modest taper/flare starting at around the mid-point, combined with extra mass at the top end. That combo of flare and extra top-end mass helps provide good contact with the bass strings. It comes in a narrower internal diameter that is perfect for a pinky. Works well on a tricone with heavy strings. But it will give your little finger a work-out for sure.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar