Oahu Lap Slide ??

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Oahu Lap Slide ??

Postby crowduck » Mon May 08, 2006 9:25 pm

Any of you had any experience with an Oahu squareneck acoustic? Good, bad, otherwise?

Curiousity, and GAS got the better of me, and I got one off an eBay auction. I was surprised to win it actually, I was expecting to be outbid, as I often am. But this time I wasn't, and that is now giving me 'second thoughts'. Anyway, it's from the 1930's, in its original case with original 30's sales receipts, some picks and sheet music. Looks good in online pictures, see below. Guess if it's a dud, I can put it back up on eBay, and maybe even make some $$'s, eBay's so predictably, unpredictable. One just like this, only with a broken bridge, and cracked top sold for about the same as I paid a couple of days ago.]

CrowDuck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
crowduck
Regular

RE: Oahu Lap Slide ??

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon May 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I've owned a few, they're nice, but that particular model is killer! Great score.
bighollowtwang
Regular

RE: Oahu Lap Slide ??

Postby crowduck » Mon May 08, 2006 11:28 pm

>I've owned a few, they're nice, but that particular model is
>killer! Great score.

Thanks Zak!! That makes me feel alot better! I 'had a feeling' about this one, just hope it arrives OK, and looks like the pictures.

Do you know what that particular model number is? The other broken one that sold had some model info comments, but I deleted that that eBay listing. Or, is there a way to find old eBay listings?

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

UPDATE: Oahu Lap Slide

Postby crowduck » Thu May 11, 2006 10:19 pm

Zak & All,

Update on the eBay Oahu.
First the model number is K66.

The rest is that sometime miracles happen. This guitar was sold new in 1935, and it arrived today, 70 years later, looking almost as it must have in '36. No cracks, dings, dents, or serious scars, immaculate tuners, only a little corrosion to the metal plating on the nut riser. It actually looks better than the online eBay pictures. The finish shows only some very fine 'micro crazing' to the laquer, that actually gives it a beautiful sort of sparkle. This instrument looks as though it's been in a museum case for all these years. To add to the delightful flavor of the guitar itself, it came with the original sales receipt, for $65 + $7.50 for the case, and the records of the $1.00 per week payments made to the "Honolulu Conservatory of Music" until marked "Paid in Full". Also came with some sheet music, one of which was from Oahu Publishing Co. that uses a type of 'tab' notation that must have been particular to Oahu lessons. From the paperwork, it appears that the original owner took lessons for about 2 years, although the guitar shows almost no wear. It looks like the case did its job and took any damage incountered, as it does show a fair amount of wear, but is still mostly intact and serviceable. I really 'lucked out' with this one!!

This is the 3rd 'good find' I've gotten off eBay. The others being a 1970's Martin Sigma 12 string, NOS from a storeroom of items left by an out of business music store, and a pristine 1960's Stella/Harmony GC from an attic in N.Y. Sometimes I just 'roll the dice', and get lucky.

Anyway, now I've got to learn some lap slide stuff.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

RE: UPDATE: Oahu Lap Slide

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri May 12, 2006 5:30 am

Congrats. From the headstock shape and model number, I'd guess it was a Stromberg-Voisenet/Kay body. Oahu didn't build guitars themselves, they subcontracted to kay and Regal, mostly. I think Regal made the cheaper student models that are often seen on ebay. The guitar you bought is definitely a big step up from those. Sounds like it's a nice one, too.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby crowduck » Fri May 12, 2006 8:17 am

Now that I have this thing unpacked, I'm nervous! It's so beautiful, I'm afraid of breaking it. The strings of unknown origen and age, although showing no corrison, were thankfully not strung very tight. Tuning up to concert pitch has been 'frightening'. Right now, I've got it in "D" tuning, and it sounds great. Think I'll leave it there for a couple of days to 'adjust'. It's scarey messing with a 70 year old guitar.
Any advise???

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 pm

Wear earplugs and safety glasses when you tune it up. :7

(That was really mean, wasn't it?)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar