Help me out folks Wood Body Reso vs. Steel/Br

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Help me out folks Wood Body Reso vs. Steel/Br

Postby stratman_27 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:49 am

I was at the guitar shop yesterday and picked up a Fender resonator with a wood body. The fit and finish of the guitar was beautiful but I think to get the resonator sound I'm looking for I need a brass or steel body instead of the wood. I didn't see much difference playing on the wood body than playing my regular acoustic as far as the sound of the cones. Am I on the right track here or am I missing something. Also can anyone recommend a good resonator as far as bang for the buck for a starter reso. I've got other equipment to buy so the reso is not something I'm ready to spend mega bucks for just yet.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: Help me out folks Wood Body Reso vs. Stee

Postby warren » Sun May 14, 2006 12:16 pm

i wasn't impressed with the wood body fender resonator...they sound pretty dull to me. I would check out some other wood body models before making up your mind.

I DO like the sound of metal body resonators....i have heard good things about this low cost reso.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=519192

i played a paul beard signature model gold tone reso that played and sounded really good.

http://www.goldtone.com/products/pages/pb-grs.asp

I have not actually played the rogue so i can't compare their sounds.

Play as many as you can (wood and metal) and pick what sounds best to you.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby deltajew » Sun May 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Each model reso has its own sound qualities.The only one I don't have is a wooden bisquit,at least not yet.Musicians Friends carries a Roque spider bridge(Dobro) which is very affordable and sounds great with amazing sustain.It is most likely the same as the other asian counterparts made under different brand names at the same factory for higher prices.I never considered owning a spider bridge guitar because I mostly play delta blues type music on metal reso guitars and bought this guitar to travel to Europe with because it was lighter and low priced. I bought it on a whim and haven't been able to put it down.It is an amazing sounding guitar for the price. I didn't do any mods to this guitar except putting Martin bluegrass nickel wound strings plus an unwound 022 third.I do this to all my resos.I hope this helps your search.
deltajew
Contributor
Contributor

Postby louisianagrey » Sun May 14, 2006 1:21 pm

The reason you didn't hear much difference with the Fender is because it's not a very good guitar. They've given lots of attention to the cosmetics and very little to the construction. Trust me, the inside won't be a pretty sight. And any guitar fitted with one of those rubbish import spider cones won't sound anything like it should do.
Pete
(http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com)
Find out about Bushy's Big Wheel Blues Fest 2006 - http://www.bigwheelblues.com
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun May 14, 2006 3:11 pm

I posted to the wrong forum.

I had that same Fender and it made me never want to play Reso again until I bought a new one. The looks are okay but they come with a plastic nut, plastic saddles (which is ludicrous and heresy) and a cone that can be compared to an aluminum can. The insides are also cheap plywood. Very dull, very hard to play.

Even with a setup it didn't sound very good.

If you want that pre-war delta sound ala Bukka, Son House, etc go with a metal bodied reso. If you want a warmer down-home country dobro sound go with a wood bodied spider cone.
bignick
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Mon May 15, 2006 3:04 pm

I bought one of those brass bodied Johnson 998 and I'm happy with it so far. I just paid 300 euros for it.

That said, my experience with resonator guitars is just that and the other 998 I tried in a local shop (that costed 600 euros!!!). Oh, no, wait... I also tried one spider resonator on that shop. It was pretty bad, awful, in both finishing and sound. It was a Richmond.
De Ferre
Regular

Postby richard » Thu May 18, 2006 12:06 pm

I prefer wood body myself, but have never owned a metal body, so i couldn't say whether i would get used to the sound or not. Wouldn't mind having one around.

I prefer the warmer sound and sustain that i get out of a wood body with a spider bridge. I am looking at getting a nice wood body guitar with a biscuit bridge at some stage, so it will be interesting to see what the difference will be in terms of sound.

richard
richard
Regular

Postby richard » Thu May 18, 2006 12:07 pm

I prefer wood body myself, but have never owned a metal body, so i couldn't say whether i would get used to the sound or not. Wouldn't mind having one around.

I prefer the warmer sound and sustain that i get out of a wood body with a spider bridge. I am looking at getting a nice wood body guitar with a biscuit bridge at some stage, so it will be interesting to see what the difference will be in terms of sound.

richard
richard
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:26 pm

I've owned several metal body resophonic guitar (both single cones and tricones). I really love the look and sound of a metal body BUT I prefer the wood body. Why? WEIGHT! I'm just getting too old I guess.
wwpete52
Regular

Return to Guitar