resonator bridge question..

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

resonator bridge question..

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:51 pm

This isn't a slide question, but I figured my chances of people with resonators are much higher in this conference.
I have a Johnson resonator that I love dearly, but I've got some issues with the strings popping out of their slots on the bridge. It's mainly the low E, but the high E sometimes as well. Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions/tips/comments/anything? I'd like to play out with it a little more, but I can't do that if I need to pause and put my strings back.. lol..
Thanks.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Sun May 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Pop the saddles out and make the slots a little deeper. Do you play with your bare fingers a lot? If you pluck with bare fingers and really start getting physical with your playing you will pull the strings out of their slots more. Finger picks may help you because they take friction away. They will give you more volume too if you are playing out.

Although bare-fingered tone sounds great. Adjusting those slots a bit (NOT much) will help.
bignick
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:38 pm

Well, fingerpicks aren't an option because I'm a stubborn jerk and I don't like them.. lol..
Honestly, I kind of figured I had to just file them down, but there was this nagging voice that said "if you do that, you're going to see on the forum that all you had to do was x, y, z, and not grind your guitar." So now that I've shut up that part of my brain, I'll go get my files. Thanks!
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Mon May 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Welding cleaning tips are cheap to file down string slots. I bought a set off eBay for $3.75 including shipping.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 15, 2006 4:08 pm

Well, I do that with fingerpicks, too, when I start "really getting physical" with my Johnson.

(Don't try this at home, kids.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon May 15, 2006 9:25 pm

ricochet wrote:Well, I do that with fingerpicks, too, when I start "really getting physical" with my Johnson.

(Don't try this at home, kids.)

I used the uke nut file set here:

http://ukulelesupply.tripod.com/id10.html

It did an ok job on the carbon fiber bridge I put in but really got chewed up, should be great for wood though. Carbon is a bitch for steel tools. Anyways I thought it was great for $5 especially if you're doing little odd jobs like this.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby crowduck » Mon May 15, 2006 9:57 pm

That uke nut file set is exactly like welding tip cleaners, just need to find the right sizes, looks like the uke guy's done that.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Well, I couldn't find anyone who owned a set of needle files. But my boss at work had a pretty thin one anyway. It worked very well, took about three minutes and I had it done. So the reso works great now. Thank you all!
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar