Teaching band members a song...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Teaching band members a song...

Postby Honeyboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm

It took me a while to realize that when someone listens to a piece of music they don’t necessarily hear the same things I do. I learned this fact when I gave bandmates a piece of music to learn by listening to it. They didn’t always hear the same details in the song. Things like dynamics, rhythm accents, and even the general groove of the song may not be “heard” by others.

This is no fault of theirs. Hearing the details in a song’s arrangement is a learning process. It takes time and hard listening until you get it.

Now this becomes problematic when I want someone to learn a new song or a new part. I usually hope that they can “hear” what I want them to play so that it won’t take as much rehearsal time to learn the song.

But sometimes when I say, “leave a little space after that G# note” they don’t know what I’m saying even though it seemed clear to me on the recording I gave them.

Inevitably I have to breakdown the song and go over the recording until they “get” what I’m talking about during a rehearsal session. That’s just the way it is… no big deal. That’s what rehearsing is all about anyways.

So how do you teach your bandmates a new song?

Honeyboy

www.bluesguitarinsider.com
Honeyboy
Regular

Re: Teaching band members a song...

Postby The Breeze » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Err... Why does it have to be played your way? As with your other post, leave some space,especially in the rhythm, but work together and explore something new.
I hear song differently when I play them back in my mind, so do others, and perhaps you?
No disrespect, just some ideas...
The Breeze
Regular

Postby straightblues » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I think you are right. Each of us hear it differently. Many folks I play with don't spend the time to go over the fine details. They way I approach it is that whoever wants to play a new song, they are the "champion" or leader of that song. They work out the details. They show the others how to play it. They do all of the arranging. Whatever the Champion says, that the way the band plays it, right or wrong. So when they come to rehearsal, they need to have the song down and be able to teach everyone else. This approach has lead to less conflict within the band.
straightblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 am

True, true. I like to have the structure and rhythm nailed at least, then with the simple harmony on top you have a song and can work out the details. The 'fudge it now, it'll be alright on the night' attitude, and the rhythm guitar's frenzied 'I feel the groove now' strumming can be avoided with a bit of discipline on practice nights. :D
The Breeze
Regular

Return to Guitar