9 String Lap Guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

9 String Lap Guitar

Postby Lo-Fi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm

My fondness for the unwashed and weird remains in tact. A friend of mine sent me this one a couple of weeks back. It seems to have started out life as a Harmony in the 1930s. Along the way somebody enlarged the sound hole (must ave been a Clarence White fan) and removed the fingerboard replacing it with a big honking raised affair with a Stauffer-esque headstock attached. Strangest thing though - they set it up for nine strings. At present I have it set up for six strings but where is the fiun in that. The easiest way to go would to be to set it up like a 12 string minus the three lowest octave strings. But that would be too easy. So now the most obvious choice would seem to be go the way of Big Joe Williams - E A DD G BB EE. The mind wobbles.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: 9 String Lap Guitar

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Nah. I think it started out life as a sitar. :) Have fun with that thing. Try some Leadbelly on it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 am

You do have a trend towards the unusual!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 am

I swear I do not seek these things out. The lap guitar was a gift from a friend who did not know what to do with it. The Silvertone was sitting in a basement with a bunch of assorted neglected odds and ends owned by a big time guitar collector.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar